The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 02:41 PM

civicrr is on a distinguished road
Default Galvan Torque T-8 or Ross Momentum 4?

I'm considering either the Galvan Torque T-8 or the Ross Momentum LT 4. This will be for use on a 8wt and/or 9wt rod being used for stripers. I'm guessing that these reels shouldn't limit me if I decide to pursue other species either. There is a 10% difference in price.

Your preference? Preference if they were the same price?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 04:29 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Galvan Torque T-8 or Ross Momentum 4?

Both are quality reels. Performance differences are very minor. After the purchase customer service is top notch. It is hard to go wrong with either. I can't say anything bad about either product.

My preference is the Galvan Torque. It isn't for any particular performance reason. I just prefer to support the California company over the Colorado company.

MP
Old 08-20-2010, 05:00 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

The problem I have with both reels you picked is that they're heavier than the reels they replaced. The Galvan weights in at 7.6 oz and the Ross at 7.9 oz.
If extra weight isn't something you want to swing around all day and you have your heart set on either of the two brands you mentioned, take a look into the Galvan Spoke. 4.88 oz. and less money.

Personally, though I love Ross reels for their machining I wonder why they went backwards in weight savings. Maybe they just HAD to find a way to toss some visible carbon fiber in there for marketing purposes?
I'm sticking with Lamson just to save money and a whole lot of weight. The newer rods are getting lighter and lighter... something maybe worth considering.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:54 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The Momentum LT has a stated weight that is less than the original Momentum. I had considered buying one of the old Momentum reels when Cabelas was practically giving them away, but they were just too heavy. If I ever decided to blow out my shoulder, the Momentum LT is on my short list.

Here's a spec sheet for the old Momentum, and it would appear to be 2 oz heavier than the LT: http://www.haddrellspoint.com/catego...fly-reels.html
Old 08-21-2010, 01:29 AM

civicrr is on a distinguished road

Other than the Lamson, the reels I looked at all seem to be about that weight. Galvan Torque, Ross Momentum LT, Nautilus CCF, Abel Super 8, & Tibor Everglades all were right about 8oz. I assumed that that was about the weight to expect.

Honestly, I don't like the looks of the Lamson reels. Any suggestions on others?

Anybody else have opinions on the Galvan Torque T-8 or Ross Momentum LT?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:29 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Civicrr, I've hammered a T-8 for several years.
Works flawlessly. Big fish hate the drag system.
I use it at Pyramid, on a Sage 8wt.XP.
Also use it on my Z-axis 6wt switch with the fatty steelhead taper..
Woudn't dream of saying it's the only reel, but is very nearly a family member at this point.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 08-21-2010, 10:58 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I have the Ross Momentum 4, and it is seriously high quality. I bought it when Cabelas was blowing them out, so it is not the LT model. The LT is considerably lighter, but otherwise the same basic reel.

The weight doesn't bother me one bit. If a couple of extra ounces will blow your shoulder out of joint, something is horribly wrong with the picture other than the reel.

I have the Momentum paired up with my Sage Largemouth Bass rod. They form a great team, and I've had great success using them for bucket mouths and other species. The machining and quality of the Ross are impressive.

Since you mentioned Abel, I also have an Abel Super 8 that I have attached to a Z-Axis 8wt. rod. If money were no object, I would have a stable full of Abels. They are works of art, and the machining and precision of the reels is unsurpassed.

Reels can be compared to watches. The Timex will keep time just fine, but if you want something special, you buy a Rolex.

Abel is the Rolex of fly reels, and you won't be disappointed if you buy one.

Cheers,

VB
Old 08-21-2010, 02:11 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
The weight doesn't bother me one bit. If a couple of extra ounces will blow your shoulder out of joint, something is horribly wrong with the picture other than the reel.
That, or those of us who have been at this hobby fervently for a few decades have found what we enjoy and demand in their gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
Since you mentioned Abel, I also have an Abel Super 8 that I have attached to a Z-Axis 8wt. rod. If money were no object, I would have a stable full of Abels. They are works of art, and the machining and precision of the reels is unsurpassed.

Reels can be compared to watches. The Timex will keep time just fine, but if you want something special, you buy a Rolex.

Abel is the Rolex of fly reels, and you won't be disappointed if you buy one.

Cheers,

VB
I'm surprised a man of your stature and as being someone who seems to appreciate fine machining and precision isn't using Charlton reels.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:15 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a REALLY nice 8wt rod last year, but have a shoulder injury from 2002 that I've been nursing. While I have the itch to fly fish saltwater, I need
to protect my right shoulder. In fact, I haven't even bought a reel or line for the rod. Oh well, tossing Clousers with a 4wt is possible with practice.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:18 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

I may be a newb. But I am not sure there would be a better reel out there than a Charlton.