The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 AM

Apache Trout is on a distinguished road
Default Need opinions concerning reel for 4wt dt

I am considering buying one of the below listed reels to pair up with a new custom built 4wt glass rod. I will be using DT line. Any first hand comments on these reels will be appreciated.

Marryat CMR 56

Nautilus Feather Weight #3 plus

Lamson Litespeed 1.5
Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Need opinions concerning reel for 4wt dt

Hi Apache,

First I wonder why you are considering the Nautilus 3+ instead of the Nautilus 3. My personal choice would be the Nautilus 3.

The Nautilus is a very well made reel with a more conventional design. It is .85oz heavier than the Lightspeed 1.5. If I was choosing between the two reels I would pick the Nautilus. It is a hard choice but no matter which one you pick, you will like it.

Here is the reason I don't like the Lampson. It uses an "O" ring to hold the spool into the frame. This has to be a source of wear but I have not heard any complaints about it being a problem. You remove the spool by pushing on the spool with your thumbs and it pops out. I just don't like the way it works. Lots of people have these reels and love them. They are a great reel but just not my cup of tea. I also don't like the rounded sideplate but again that is just personal preference.

Both reels have an excellent drag and you will be happy with either one.

Frank
Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 PM

Hi Frank,

I was thinking the 3+ because I use double taper 4 weight line that takes up alot of spool space. If I am reading their chart correctly it does not look like this would work on the 3.

Thanks,
Old 05-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Apache,

After posting I saw that I forgot the DT part of your question. I still think the size 3 would work with a RIO Selective Trout DT. You would probably have 50 yards of backing with the RIO line. That is more than enough for a trout rod. If you are seriously thinking about the Nautilus I would call the factory and ask how much baking you would have with a Featherweight 3 and a DT line. Some DT lines don't reduce the running line like RIO does.

You didn't ask about any other reel but have you looked at the Galvan OB-3. It is a great trout reel with a super smooth drag. You didn't state the length of your new rod but a OB-3 is a good match on a 9' rod. The OB-3 is not as lite as the Lampson but it is a solid reel.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:27 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I share Frank's concern about the Lamson o-ring. I've handled a few, but just
can't get comfortable with the retention system. I can't stand the Abel reels
with that require a screwdriver to remove the spool either !
Old 05-01-2008, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the input. I checked out the Lamson and have to agree that the "o" ring retention is not great engineering. I did email Nautilus with the "what size' question and they responded: "either a 3+ or 5." Well after looking at their chart whomever answered the question wasn't really checking their own specs. The 5 would leave a mile of unsued spool to be filled with backer. Don' t really need that!

Has anyone out there used or inspected a Marryat CMR 34 or 56?

Hay Frank, our last names are one letter apart. Just add an S between the T and O and you got it.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Hi Apache,

That is interesting. There are a bunch of variations on our last name.

After a little checking I have to agree that the 3+ may be a better choice.

Frank