The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 03:41 PM

atcman42 is on a distinguished road
Default Need some advice for my New Sage SLT 5wt

This is my first post to this forum, hope you all can help me out. I just got a new sage slt 9' 5wt and am looking for a reel to go with it. i am on a budget of around $150 and am looking at large arbor. Any advice would be nice. Weight, balance, durability, looks........... thanks in advance
ATCMAN
Old 05-09-2008, 04:02 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Need some advice for my New Sage SLT 5wt

Lamson Velocity or any other in that line. Excellent drags( not that you need them that good), nice finish, excellent fit and lightweight. It works and compliments my 3wt SLT well.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:45 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

You will get lots of suggestions. The Velocity from Lamson is more in the mid $200 range and a great reel. I have been fishing the Lamson Konic, which is generating a lot of discussion because it is a cast reel that retails at a little over $100. Many consider the idea of a cast reel in that price range a
"rip-off", others think the idea of the Lamson drag at a low price point a good deal. My opinion is that the drag is the major consideration, and if you have to pay for an "over-engineered" reel, the drag has a bigger pay-off than the being CNC machined. Much of this is subjective, but I think that this is a very nice, American-made reel with a great drag that is (subjectively) attractive at a good price. It is important to realize that this is made by a different process than a Pflueger Medalist, and cast at high pressure, resulting in a (hopefully) more durable reel. I can tell you that I have been completely satisfied with mine, but only using it for a few weeks at this time. Other than this and the Tioga in this price range, you are mostly going to be looking at Chinese reels, and there are a lot of good choices. Depends on your priorities.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:32 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Lamson Velocity - I've got 3 of 'em and use a size 2 on my 5 wt SLT. If you look around, you can find last year's model (the non "Hard Alox") for around 150 or so.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:43 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I know you said you wanted a large arbor reel, but the Battenkill Mid-Arbor is a great reel and for a 5 wt, is not that much smaller than a large arbor reel. Cost = $119. A gold Mid-Arbor would look great with the SLT colors.

Have fun with your SLT. I have a 9 ft 6 wt SLT and love it.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:40 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I paid just under $150 for my velocity new on Ebay delivered. There are so many creative ways to find values these days. I think that if you can afford it you should buy American these days. I may pay a bit more but I think it's crucial. I have two Velocitys one for 3 wt and another for 6wt. Between the 2 I've got line weights covered for 3/4/5 & 6. My Bauer covers 7 & 8 wts.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi racine,

What Bauer do you have and how do you like it. The Bauer doesn't get a lot of comments on the forum but I think they are good reels.

Frank
Old 05-10-2008, 07:25 PM

jayleader is on a distinguished road

Check out a Pfleuger Trion 1956. Good value, great smooth reel for the money.
jay
Old 05-10-2008, 07:26 PM

wlb06 is on a distinguished road

speakin of sage slt 9-5's

Anyone know where I can find one online for a good price?
Old 05-10-2008, 10:04 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlb06 View Post
speakin of sage slt 9-5's

Anyone know where I can find one online for a good price?
Look at ebay. There are usually lots of new SLT's.