The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 06:53 PM

atcman42 is on a distinguished road
Default Pflueger President

I have seen these kicking around in forums, but have seen no reviews. Does anyone have any input? The look nice with the LA design, and they look even nicer with the price tag attatched to them. Any feedback>>???
Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM

WANTONJ is on a distinguished road
Re: Pflueger President

I have three of these reels,they are very well made and the finish-machine work is first class,they are light weight and very strong,the drag system is strong more than you will need,I have several sizes ,they make 5 different sizes to just about fit any size rod,I have a 2012 which is a salt water/ large fresh water reel all hardware is stainless,this is married to a 9ft 10 wt very fast action rod used for large Bass and Steelhead.note this is the largest reel they make 4.5 inch large arbor.I have two smaller versions set up on 7- 1/2 ft 4wt rod and 9ft 5wt rod , they all work very well and the prices are great,I hope this helps you. Captain Wayne Valley Fire Service.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:27 AM

fishman is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I am also looking for a Pflueger reel for #10 rod. Can someone point me to the decent shop with reasonable prices.

many thanks !!!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Pflueger President

Hi Everyone,

Those of you that have the President reel, does it look like this?

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
Hi all,

I am also looking for a Pflueger reel for #10 rod. Can someone point me to the decent shop with reasonable prices.

many thanks !!!
CABELAS 159.95,TROUTLET 132.00 FOR ALL SIZES TO 12 WT.
Trout Fishing Tackle and Techniques

Captain Wayne Valley Fire Service,Valley Srings calif.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Everyone,

Frank

Frank that is not a President,President has a Rosewood handle,back side has 6 connecting bars,has 3 notches on drag knob,the cutouts on the front are triangles with rounded corners,the quick release hub looks like a President.I wish I knew how to add a picture to this so you can see it,I wiil ask my boy how to do that, he builds computers and repairs them,he would know.I have seen that reel, I believe a place called the Fly Shop up in Redding Calif.If you want I will look it up and respond to this post.

have a good and safe day.

Captain Wayne Valley Fire Service,Valley Springs Calif.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Everyone,

Frank

Frank I looked this up,it is the Fly Shop,you can view it on line,they call it the Fly Shop L2A fly reel,now I doubt they make fly reels so some body makes it and labels it for them,it looks like a good reel,the President for say 8wt weighs 6.3 0z the L2A weighs 7.4,price for the L2A IS 149.00 FOR THE 8WT,all sizes of the President from 4wt to 12wt is 132.00 from troutlet on line,I hope this is of help.

Captain Wayne Valley Fire Service, Valley Springs Calif.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to all,

Yes, the picture I posted is from The Fly Shop. It is a reel that they imported. The spool of the President and the L2a is very similar. The frame on the President is skeletonized and that might be the weight saving. Good chance they come from the same overseas source.

WANTONJ, I copied this picture from Cabela's and pasted it here in this post. This is what I did. I went to Cabela's and right clicked on their picture of the President. A Drop Down Menu opened and I left clicked on "Copy". I then went back to my post and put the cursor where I want the picture to appear. I right clicked where the cursor was located and the drop down menu opened. I left clicked on "Paste" and the picture appeared in the post.

Frank

Old 07-31-2008, 12:03 PM

Hi Frank,thanks for the picture info,the Pflueger President is made in Korea,they could be the same Mfg,it is hard to tell,there are no exploded views of the L2A or any mention of bearings,the Pflueger has a one way roller clutch bearing on the end of the spool shaft, a large oversized sealed ball bearing on the base of the spool shaft,both are for side thrust,it would be real hard for the spool to contact the frame,you can get the 8wt President form Troutlet for 132.00 with 6.00 shipping and its lighter.Thanks again for your input.

Wayne, Valley Fire Service,Valley Springs Calif.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Hi Wanton,

In the Fly Shop catalog it shows the L2A frame with no spool and the hub machining looks just like the President. If there is any difference I can't see it in the photos. I can't tell if it has the same guts.

There is some pretty good stuff coming out of Korea. I would have more confidence in a Korean product than I would with a product made in China. Over time that will probably change. I can remember when Japan was copying anything made in American that they could get their hands on. At first it was cheap and then pretty good and then some of the best products in the world. It wouldn't surprise me if China doesn't following that same path.

Whoops, got off track there a bit.

Frank