The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 AM

John S 31 is on a distinguished road
Default Hardy Reel

I was hoping that someone could provide some information regarding a Hardy St George Reel that I own. I was trying to determine its age and value (even though I don't plan on selling it).
I have had a really hard time uploading a picture on to this forum so I hope this works!

Any info would be appreciated.

John S
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image002.jpg (28.1 KB, 307 views)
Old 05-26-2008, 07:32 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default Re: Hardy Reel

John I would suggest you post on the classic fly rod forum for more info. Also post more pictures, including the interior of the reel. The type of Click and Pawl set up is one the first things guys look at to determine age. Also a lot of the early Hardys had the initials of the builder inside too. Hardys been building them off and on since the mid 1920's (I believe), and a lot of them were totally hand assembled.

The Classic Fly Rod Forum - Message Board - Yuku
Old 05-27-2008, 03:03 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Does it have three screws or two on the latch on the face of the spool? That's a clue. Most pre 1970 reels have a three screw latch. Also is the line guard agate or silver? Is the agate red or grey? There are a bunch of things to examine in order to determine a reels age and value. Is the finish leaded or baked enamel? Is it left hand retrieve (I presume) or a more rare right hand retrieve? What is the diameter of the reel 3" 3.75" etc?

I used to collect them (Hardy Reels) but am not an expert on them. It would be easier with more detailed photos. A ball park figure based on the photo of the back plate would be starting at $285 and topping out around $500. The questions I ask herein could affect the value greatly depending on the answers. I seldom see these reels go for more than $385 unless there is some outstanding issue with the reel. I recently sold an almost unused "Spotless" 1970 two screw latch model with perfect smokey grey agate line guard for $330 I would have been happier with $400 due to the reels new condition but 330 was what the market would bear at the time of sale.

They make a nice fishing reel especially if you're left handed. If you are not you may want to sell it and think about replacing it with a nice Hardy St. Aidan that's what I use on an old PM 10 9' 5wt 4Pc it balances the rod well and offers plenty of arbor when filled with backing.

Hope this helps you with your question.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:54 AM

Thanks for responding. My feeling is that the reel is from the 30's. It is made of nickel/silver and I don't believe that it has had any enamel on it. It is a 3" with three screws. The handle is a yellowish/white agate as is the line guard. The handle is on the right side when the reel is on the pole. I have tried to add photos but it is next to impossible; I don't know how I managed to add the one that is on the message.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I have tried to add photos but it is next to impossible; I don't know how I managed to add the one that is on the message.

Hi John,

Here is a link to a FAQ on posting pictures. Maybe it will help you out.

Frank
Old 05-29-2008, 03:40 AM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
John I would suggest you post on the classic fly rod forum for more info. Also post more pictures, including the interior of the reel. The type of Click and Pawl set up is one the first things guys look at to determine age. Also a lot of the early Hardys had the initials of the builder inside too. Hardys been building them off and on since the mid 1920's (I believe), and a lot of them were totally hand assembled.

The Classic Fly Rod Forum - Message Board - Yuku
Hey Burk, I saw that Hardy is getting rid of cortland and going with a new distributor in Florida, Hardy & Greys Limited. Have you heard of this? Who would you stick with, Cortland/sth or Hardy/Greys?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

With it being 3" 3 screw you're looking at the upper end of the price range. If the agate is without cracks and the lead patina is fairly uniform on the reel I've seen three inch or better known as the "St. George Junior" go as high as $550.00.

If you have the original case that came with the reel that will assist in the value of the piece.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:43 PM

Thats nice to know. The agate is fine (as is the handle) with no cracks. The patina is uniform save for where the original owner put his name. The spool does have a small piece of metal missing (on the outside;one of the small holes in the design) but it works like a champ. I really don't plan on selling it, in fact I plan on using it often.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Here are some more photos of the reel. I think that it is a St. George (Mk I) c. 1917-21. As you can see there is a break-out on the spool but other than that it works great.

Does anyone know how I can get a replacement spool? and how much?

Also, does anyone wish to venture a guess as to value??

Thanks,
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0039.jpg (42.3 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0040.jpg (43.2 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.jpg (65.7 KB, 119 views)
Old 05-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Administrator

John,

The fact that the original owner has inscribed his name will cost you on the value chart. Also, the broken spool is a big no no. Extra spools sometimes come available on eBay. You would have to enter it as a favorite search so that you will receive e-mail notices whenever one is listed.

The problem with a replacement spool is that it will seldom match the patina and wear of the cage and back plate. I would watch eBay for the spool. As far as that inscription of the owners name......... subtract around $150 from current market value for a reel of this condition and you are at $285 - $320

Hope this helps answer your questions.