The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2
Default Re: Straight mono on a large arbor fly reel

Mono Line, Spawn, and Fly Rods with Spinning Guides...Are you sure you are fly fishing at all? For steelhead on spawn, I'd use a spinning reel. I just think you are going to have more flexibility in casting that way.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
trust me mosa they are not mooching reels, they actually turn and cast like a spinning reel. I have been know to throw a 2oz spoon over 100 yards in my old days before my heart surgery.
I've been wanting a Alvey for a while. Since you have experience with them, does the line twist really get bad when casting them like a spinning reel? What I really want to try, is using one on a bow setup, for IL river Asian Carp.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:41 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Having lived and fished in Michigan most of my life, let me explain the reason for 'chuck 'n duck'.
You have to get down and deep quickly into small, deep holes. Any extra diameter on the line creates instant drag and your fly is swept right out of the zone. The cast are anything but long. A simple water-load flick upstream is usually all you need.
The debate on whether this is true fly fishing is as constant as the debate on whether Tenkara is fly fishing. I'm not getting into that, again. All I know is that chuck 'n duck is VERY effective for steelhead up in Michigan.
We used to string up with Amnesia but I'm willing to bet that some of the newer shooting lines, like Rio Slickshooter or the stuff from Cortland work as well or probably better.

I have also heard the stresses caused by stringing up fly spools with nothing but mono can damage the spool. Whether this goes back to the old or cheap two and three piece spools I don't know, but why chance it? Be safe and attach the shooting line to backing as Burk said.

Last edited by Jackster; 09-30-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I agree, in the 80's & 90's guys were fishing the tribs using 10 - 11' noodle rods with spinning reels and showing me up almost daily. I was trying to fish water that was definitely not good fly water and had my go with running line and weights back then (80's)

I decided that I either had to buy a new rig (noodle rod and spin reel) or start learning how to find fish in water more conducive to presenting a fly on a traditional fly rod and line. I did this and have been happily fly fishing for salmon and steelhead ever since.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-11-2010, 02:30 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

So what is the Chuck'n'Duck method called when you replace the egg, nymph or streamer with a bag of spawn? Don't let the DNR catch you on flies-only water with this setup.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:46 PM

spaceghost33 is on a distinguished road

O.K. ddombos2, that's just plain offensive. Why would you assume that I'm on a "flies only" stream? For the record, it's NOT flies only water. I fly-fish (and have since I was 7 years old - only 7 years less than I've been alive) for brooks and browns in the summer on the North Branch of the Au Sable river. For Steelhead, I prefer spawn bags and yarn. Forgive me for being flexible with my fishing methods. I enjoy fly-fishing the most, however, the river I fish for Steelhead in lends itself more to "chuck-n-duck" as some here prefer to call it. It's attitudes like this that give fly-fisherman the "elitist" label that seems to somehow taken hold over time.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

spaceghost33, in flies only water I'm pretty sure everyone knows the rules which usually include words like 'artificials only'.
If they don't know the rules in the special regs area's, they deserve a ticket.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:51 PM

spaceghost33 is on a distinguished road

Agreed Jackster. By the way, your explanation of why some of us choose to "chuck and duck" in some Michigan waters was spot on. The Platte & Betsie rivers (where I do my Steelheading) lend themselves to this style over any other. At least in my experience.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceghost33 View Post
Agreed Jackster. By the way, your explanation of why some of us choose to "chuck and duck" in some Michigan waters was spot on. The Platte & Betsie rivers (where I do my Steelheading) lend themselves to this style over any other. At least in my experience.
While I would agree that chuck and duck is the most efficient way for a beginner to learn how to quickly get into our andromonous fish, I have abandoned C & D for fishing with Switch or short Spey rods with indicators on our smaller streams. This way I can use a traditional fly line and roll cast or single Spey cast to my fish. If you learn the mechanics of a proper drift you will hook as many or more fish and have a much lower percentage of foul hooked fish. This is something that is all to common when the runs are thick and you're fishing C & D. I will admit the technique isn't mastered instantly, but once you learn to dial it in you'll have some great days.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:16 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
While I would agree that chuck and duck is the most efficient way for a beginner to learn how to quickly get into our andromonous fish, I have abandoned C & D for fishing with Switch or short Spey rods with indicators on our smaller streams. This way I can use a traditional fly line and roll cast or single Spey cast to my fish. If you learn the mechanics of a proper drift you will hook as many or more fish and have a much lower percentage of foul hooked fish. This is something that is all to common when the runs are thick and you're fishing C & D. I will admit the technique isn't mastered instantly, but once you learn to dial it in you'll have some great days.
I agree with you about Indi fishing for the Steelies and the Salmon. C&D fishing is efficient, but that's simply because when there are a lot of fish present it's relatively easy to line the fish. C&D was a method of fishing that guides came up with to get their clients into fish no matter how experienced they were at fishing...

My $0.02 worth...

Dan