The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 05:03 PM

kgcabs is on a distinguished road
Default 2 wt reel reccomendations please

Pairing with a Loomis Whisper Creek, 2wt, 8 footer. Thanks, Karl
Old 06-19-2008, 12:53 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 2 wt reel reccomendations please

how much do you wish to budget for this reel? way too many choices out there. for that rod, i imagine you don't need a disc drag or large arbor style reel but some like them for the look and/OR silent operation.

personally, i prefer simple reels. i like my old meisselbach airex ablette 373 on my 3wt 8 footer. i just picked up an older orvis CFO III recently. if i was looking again (and i'm not, i'm not, i'm not :-) and wanted something currently in production i'd check out the orvis BBS I or II or if you wanted something along the lines of a mid arbor then check out the lamson konic for 3/4 lines. to match that green of the rod (is it really $595???????) try a galvan standard 2.5 in green. great reels made in california.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:42 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Orvis CFO 1-2-3

or

Galvan OB 1
Old 06-19-2008, 11:08 AM

kgcabs is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I want to spend around $300.

It's not $595 "only" $575 .

But I love Loomis rods.

Karl
Old 06-19-2008, 12:45 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

If you want to spend $300, look no further than the Ross Evolution. Top of the line, large arbor, fully machined madness, and they even have one in the "0" size for 2wt lines. Personally, though, I'd look no further than the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock I or II for about a third the cost (get the II model, spool it with lots of backing, and presto, you've got a mid arbor 2wt reel that weighs the same as the Ross Evolution 0 model).

For a 2wt, I think the idea is generally that you're casting smaller flies and targeting smaller fish, but if you hook a large fish, a disc drag will help land it. Not that you need a Ross Evolution for that, but hey if you've got the dough...
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:51 AM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

I put a Orvis CFO I on my 2 weight this summer, and it works beautifully and has a nice classic look to it, as well. With the small water fishing I do with this set-up, it has so far just been a classy line storage device and that is why I didn't want to spend any more for a high-end Ross, etc.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:23 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i hope i'm not hijacking this thread but since we're talking about reels, i just used my CFO III for the first time last week. i paid about $225 for the used click/pawl CFO with a spare spool included and it worked GREAT. i had been using an orvis battenkill version (not the machined BBS which may be just as good) and it had always been irritating at times, both with leader/tippet line falling inbetween the spool and frame and the correct orientation of the spool to place it back on the body with a positive engagement. the CFO was troublefree in those regards and was a wonderful pleasure to fish. and as mhclayton mentioned, classic styling. i never had to think about it while fishing. i used it on my 8 foot 3wt rod on small and medium sized trout streams so hopefully this helps.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:21 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plland View Post
If you want to spend $300, look no further than the Ross Evolution. Top of the line, large arbor, fully machined madness, and they even have one in the "0" size for 2wt lines. Personally, though, I'd look no further than the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock I or II for about a third the cost (get the II model, spool it with lots of backing, and presto, you've got a mid arbor 2wt reel that weighs the same as the Ross Evolution 0 model).

For a 2wt, I think the idea is generally that you're casting smaller flies and targeting smaller fish, but if you hook a large fish, a disc drag will help land it. Not that you need a Ross Evolution for that, but hey if you've got the dough...
I second plland's recommendation on the Ross Evolution 0. It's a very nice reel; small, lightweight and with a good drag system.

Another option would be Abel's Creek model in the 1 size. Two totally different reels with different mechanics, actions, feels and aesthetics. I now use a Creek 2 on my 3 wt. and, although I'm going to have one very "hot" left palm if I ever hook a large fish with it, I really like the feel, action and sound of this reel. I think that the model 1 may also get in under your $300 threshold; if you don't mind black.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road

I am against the Ross reels for many reasons, but their drag is not smooth enough to protect the tippets you would use on a 2 weight. I would go for the Galvan Open Back if you are looking to spend about $300. That reel has the smoothest drag I have seen.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:31 PM

Doubletap is on a distinguished road

I concur with the comments about drag not being a huge factor in the choice of reels for a two weight.
I use an Okuma SLV 2/3 on my Legend Ultra 2wt and find it more than adequate - and came in at less than a hundred bucks. It's drag is remarkably smooth for a reel of that price - smooth enough for the 7x and 8x I usually employ with my 2wt.
Put your money into a good line and save your cash on what will mostly be employed as a line holder.

And no, I don't just catch tiddlers on my 2wt!
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.