The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 02:36 PM

tully mars is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor vs. Lamson Guru

I looking to purchase a large arbor reel for an 8 weight rod. Does anybody have any experience with the Orvis or the Lamson or anything in that price range.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:25 PM

johnpriceonline is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor vs. Lamson Guru

I just purchased the Orvis Batten Kill II and love it. It's for a 5-6 weight rod but I was able to cast with the 8 weight one this week at the IFTD show in Denver. I like it if that's what you're looking for. Are you saltwater fishing?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

One of my reels is a battenkill V. i love it. Never had a lamson. In fact, all 3 of my reels are orvis. All sertver me well
Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

I have two LA Battenkills one is a size II the other is a VI. I like both of them and they work well. Now I do not like them as much as some of my other reels; however those reels are not in the same price range.

Bottom line is that the LABK is an awesome reel for the price.

I have no experience with the other reel you are asking about.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:51 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Johnpriceoutdoors posed a good question. Will you be using it in the salt? I have a feeling that you would with a name like Tully Mars (I know the reference).

Tough call. Both are well designed reels.

Here's how I look at it.

Retrieve: Goes to the BKLA. A reel with a 4" outer diameter will reel in line faster than a reel with a 3.75" outer diameter. This can be important with speedy fish like Bonefish or steelhead.

Drag system: Tough call. As much as I like the Waterworks/Lamson drag system (I own a Litespeed 3), I will give the edge to the Orvis. The start up is a smoother (not by much) and has a touch more stopping power.

Line capacity: Both are just as good.

Weight: The Lamson is a lighter by .7 ounces (6.1 vs 6.9). To some, that is critical. To some, it isn't.

Finish: The Orvis seems to be a bit more polished. The machining looks cleaner.

Saltwater usage: Edge towards the Lamson. It has a sealed drag system. The Orvis has an exposed roller bearing that is supposed to be non-corrosive. I have seen some of these units corrode.

After the purchase customer service: Both companies respond well to customer service issues. They stand behind their products. Orvis has been around for over 100 years. It isn't going anywhere. Waterworks and Lamson have been together since 1999. It continues to make quality product year after year.

MP
Old 09-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
After the purchase customer service: Both companies respond well to customer service issues. They stand behind their products. Orvis has been around for over 100 years. It isn't going anywhere. Waterworks and Lamson have been together since 1999. It continues to make quality product year after year.

MP

Yes Orvis sure does. I personally have had nothing but a great experience with them. My LABK II was having a free spooling issue in temps below 20F. I went back to my local Orvis shop. I left the shop with a new reel in hand and it has worked ever since.

My experience has been similar with some of their other products I have had issues with. Fleece Jacket: Draw strings broke. Went to the shop left with a new jacket. ZG 5wt rod: I broke the tip, it was my fault. I went to the shop. He took my rod, I filled out my info. I was asked if I wanted a loaner until my rod came in. About 10 days later my rod was back. Orvis Clearwater II 9wt: I broke that rod. Went into the shop, filled out info and was asked if I wanted a loaner. About two weeks later I had a brand new (not refurbished/repaired) rod.