The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 09:49 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about
Default Reel Suggestion for Winston Boron IIX 6 wt 9 foot rod

Given the light weight of the Boron (less than 3 oz.), I want to have a reel that gives a good balance to the rod. If any of you own Winston 6 wt 9 foot rod, what reel are you using?
I am considering Ross Evo 3. Galvan Open Back 4. Galvan Torque 5. Lamson Velocity 2. Allen Reel 2.

I was told that Allen makes good reels but it seems heavy although not by much. As for Lamson, people seem to say that their spools are not as strong as those of other companies. But I heard many other counter arguments against them. Galvan seems to make good reels, but they seem more expensive and I wonder if that much money is worthwhile to spend, Torque in particular.
As you can see, I am totally lost. Please help me out.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:33 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reel Suggestion for Winston Boron IIX 6 wt 9 foot rod

On my biix - 8' 4 wt' - a Lamson does not sit well in the seat. I'm not sure if the 6 wt. has a larger seat or now. I use an Orvis BBS III on it because it fits much nicer. I can't speak to the Allen but the Galvan should be a most excellent fit on this rod. It also has a more classic look that the Lamson's which I find preferable on the Green Sticks.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If I didn't have a Ross Vision that fits my 6 weight BIIx perfectly, I would have the Ross Evo for sure.
The others you mentioned are a bit on the heavy side and take away a bit from some of the magic that makes the BIIx series special. You might want to consider the Galvin Spoke, it seems they whittled it down to lose a little weight over the other Galvin reels.
Some say that little bit of weight don't matter and for many it doesn't. All I know is when the entire rig weighs so little it feels darn right to this user and those who borrow my rigs always comment on how light they are. It's nice using them all day... especially when high-sticking or when a lot of casting is involved.
On my 8.5', 4 weight BIIx I use the Ross Evolution in green or a British click 'n pawl CFO Both great, highly functional combos.
Darn I love well made line holders!
Old 09-18-2010, 01:16 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Thank you so much guys. I just look at BIIX 4wt rod and find that the size of the reel seat seems similar.

I am leaning toward Ross Evo. But I am still wondering between Evo 2 and Evo 3.
I like 2 because I already have Evo 2 and so all I need to do is to get a spool. But what concerns me is that the backing of Evo 2 is so short. It is going to be about 50 yard backing. I know that when you catch trout, you are not going to use backing much. But I still want to have insurance that the backing is about 100 yard, which leads me to think about Evo 3.

Are any of you using Evo 2 for Winston boron IIX? What do you think? Or if anybody has been using Evo 2 for 6 wt rig, please give me your thoughts on that.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I use the Evo LT #3 on all my rods right now: 4-6wt Sage ZXL and Z-Axis. The difference in weight between the #2 and #3 is non-existant, and the #3
holds a WHOLE lot more backing. I originally went with the #2, having used a #2 original style Evolution, but its noticeably reduced capacity led me to return them, and get the #3 reels. The design of the Evo LT makes it look smaller than its 3.5" diameter, so appearance isn't an issue for me. I just don't see any downside to the larger Evo LT.

P.S. Now that I think about it, I'd consider the #4 for a 6wt rod. It's still under 5 ounces, and you'll be able to fit all the backing you need, and not have to worry
about jamming line against one side of the reel when reeling in the big one. I used a 3.5 old style Evo on my 9' 5wt Z-Axis, and it never felt heavy( 4.5oz):

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:43 PM

Bakerloo is on a distinguished road

Bauer JM2
Old 09-18-2010, 06:53 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

TTB

Think about contacting Justin at Allen and discussing it with him. The reels are very reasonable to members and more than likely he will send you one for your approval. Believe you will, like most others who have them, be impressed with the design and workmanship.
If that doesn't work out, suggest you take a look at the Nautilus FW+ 5 or 7.
High quality with an excellent drag, large capacity spools and affordable.
Luck!

imxer
Old 09-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Thank you so much guys for sharing your thoughts on this matter.
Thanks Frank for your picture. That's nice bass. In Texas we catch tons of Bass and Carps.
I already contacted Justin and I will get my reel soon and see how it works.