The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

View Poll Results: lamson or ross?
Ross Rhythm3($190) 7 77.78%
Lamson Radius2($120) 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 11:00 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road
Default Help me on deciding on a new reel!!

I am looking to buy a second 6wt reel and narrowed it down to Ross Rhythm 3 and Lamson Radius2(I already own a radius in 3.5 for my 8wt).
My heart says Ross(becuz I've actually owned a Ross reel before)... but the price different btw the two are; the Rhythm is $190 and the Radius is $120.
Is the Rhythm worth the 70 bux?

I've never owned a Ross reel before and heard such good things about them.. that's why I am having a dilemma...

Thanks
Old 09-25-2010, 03:41 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help me on deciding on a new reel!!

I'm a big fan of Ross Reels, and I own two Rhythms. They are very nice. They are essentially the same reels as the Evolutions, just with fewer holes drilled in them.

Since the Rhythms were discontinued and blown out, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find one cheaper than $190.00.

Anyway, you won't be disappointed with the quality of the Ross Reels. Plus, they have excellent customer service and stand behind their products.

Cheers,

-VB
Old 09-25-2010, 05:12 PM

Jim M is on a distinguished road

I really like the Lamson drag, it works well for everything from salmon to steelhead. I believe that the radius has been discontinued, they will get harder to find.

Jim M
Old 09-25-2010, 05:21 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not voting I just want to ask about your name "wonderfulremark".
Is that from the excellent Van Morrison song ?
Old 09-25-2010, 11:52 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some points. It may help make your decision.

Ross Rhythm
  • The Ross Rhythm is part of the Ross Reels USA collection. That means that Ross will service it as long for the lifetime of the products. Basically that means as long as the reel remains serviceable.
  • Ross makes its decisions on what to do with a reel to be serviced within 24 hours of receipt.
  • Ross has a vast inventory of spare parts for both current and discontinued models.
  • Even though Ross has discontinued the Rhythm, Ross will continue to make a limited quantity of black spools each year. That way you have the chance to obtain a spare spool in the future.
  • Drag system has a very smooth startup, but it lacks some high end stopping power. I wouldn't recommend it for fish that are built for speed (aka steelhead).
  • If I recall correctly, the Ross has a larger outer spool diameter than the Lamson. It should retrieve line much faster.

Lamson Radius 2
  • Like Ross, Lamson will service the reel for the lifetime of the product.
  • As long as Lamson, continues to use the bearing and cone drag system, it will have spare parts for the reel.
  • Lamson has a very quick turnaround for repair services.
  • With the Radius being discontinued (at least two season now), spare spools are not available.
  • The Lamson drag system has a very wide range of drag settings. It has a smooth start up, but it has a touch more high end than the Ross.

MP
Old 09-26-2010, 12:50 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

Thank you every body and FrankB2.

I think I'll spend the extra bucks and go with the Rhythm.
I haven't owned a Ross product and for the future reference, i think it's a great opportunity..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'm not voting I just want to ask about your name "wonderfulremark".
Is that from the excellent Van Morrison song ?

YOU KNOW IT!!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:53 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfulremark View Post
Thank you every body and FrankB2.

I think I'll spend the extra bucks and go with the Rhythm.
I haven't owned a Ross product and for the future reference, i think it's a great opportunity..

YOU KNOW IT!!
Good choice! I own this reel and I love the drag on it, and it looks nice
Old 09-29-2010, 09:36 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

you've made your decision so my vote for the ross is a moot point. my thinking was 1) you already have a radius so go for something new and 2) for the experience and you can help others with suggestions in the future.

but someday (and it sounds like it'll happen), look into galvan too! :-)

eric
fresno, ca.