The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Reels (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/)
-   -   Allen Reel (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-reels/52849-allen-reel.html)

Joni 09-25-2010 10:24 AM

Allen Reel

I just wanted to post that I recently ordered two Allen Reels in the XL. There was a slight mix up in communication and one that had no problem with as a customer, but Justin went above and beyond...thank you soooo much.

The reels showed up very quickly. Just in time for my trip to Henry's and MAN did they get a workout.

I am use to the reel making noise on the in and out, but realize, allot of the new reels don't on the in . Still getting use to that, but I had a couple of reels before ALLEN's that didn't.

These reels are very smooth and I didn't notice any slop at all. It was a piece of cake to reverse the drag too.

THANK YOU Justin and will be doing more business with you in the future.

brucered 10-01-2010 10:12 PM

Re: Allen Reel

glad to hear it all worked out and your are happy with the Allen reels.

i'm just looking into them for my first ever fly reel and it doesn't look like i could make a better choice. just have to narrow down which one i want or should get.

wonderfulremark 10-02-2010 01:05 AM

I've got an XL in the 3/4 size. Good reel but it weights too light for my liking, making the rod, tip heavy...

Joni 10-02-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderfulremark (Post 145907)
I've got an XL in the 3/4 size. Good reel but it weights too light for my liking, making the rod, tip heavy...

That is an easy fix...buy a new rod....LOL (works for me)

Rip Tide 10-02-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderfulremark (Post 145907)

Put a layer or two of lead core line under the backing

tully mars 10-12-2010 01:27 PM

I just received a new Allen XL 7/8. Looks great. Can't wait to try it out.

sjs 10-23-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni (Post 142557)
I just wanted to post that I recently ordered two Allen Reels in the XL. There was a slight mix up in communication and one that had no problem with as a customer, but Justin went above and beyond...thank you soooo much.

The reels showed up very quickly. Just in time for my trip to Henry's and MAN did they get a workout.

I am use to the reel making noise on the in and out, but realize, allot of the new reels don't on the in . Still getting use to that, but I had a couple of reels before ALLEN's that didn't.

These reels are very smooth and I didn't notice any slop at all. It was a piece of cake to reverse the drag too.

THANK YOU Justin and will be doing more business with you in the future.

For the peanut gallery, Joni works as a guide so she gets guide pricing from manufacturers. Since Justin sells direct I would guess she buys at the same price as us. To show the deals she gets, a SA mastery series line costs her (at least before Oct 1st,) $15 and a sharkskin costs her $25. A tfo rod is %60 off for her. She COULD be buying a reel that costs over $300 for about $120, but she bought the allen reel with no special discounts (I am assuming)

Joni 10-23-2010 05:51 PM

You assume right...these reels are THAT GOOD....;-)