The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 02:02 PM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Question Reel Question...

Hi-

Is it ok (ok meaning will it hurt to) put a smaller weight line on a fly reel made for a larger weight fly line? Say if I found a mid to large arbor reel on eBay that was made for a 8 or 10 weight line but wanted to load it with a 7-weight line (because the reel is such a good deal); would that cause any negatives other than the reel being a bit big?

Thanks for any help or advice!

~Seth
Old 07-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Reel Question...

Hi Seth,

It would help to know what reel you are talking about. If it was built for a 10wt it may be too heavy and clunky. If it was built for an 8wt then it would not be a problem. If you have a fast action 7wt rod it might work if you rod is long enough to counter the weight. In any event you will be able to fish with the combination but it might not be very balanced. When we get into 7/8 weight rods or higher weights, they tend to be heavy. Weight doesn't make as much difference in this rods like it would with a dry fly rod.

If you don't want to say in a post what reel it is, send me a PM and I will see if I can help you.

Frank
Old 07-22-2008, 05:24 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I would agree with Frank that it depends on the weight difference. I would do a search to find the weight of the that reel versus the same make in a 7wt to see how much the difference is.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Seth,

It would help to know what reel you are talking about. If it was built for a 10wt it may be too heavy and clunky. If it was built for an 8wt then it would not be a problem. If you have a fast action 7wt rod it might work if you rod is long enough to counter the weight. In any event you will be able to fish with the combination but it might not be very balanced. When we get into 7/8 weight rods or higher weights, they tend to be heavy. Weight doesn't make as much difference in this rods like it would with a dry fly rod.

If you don't want to say in a post what reel it is, send me a PM and I will see if I can help you.

Frank
Hi Frank-

I just purchased an older Orvis 7-wt. rod; a Trident and I'm looking at putting a Battenkill Mid-Arbor V on it (I think this reel is made for 9/10 wt. lines). The V weighs around 6.5 ounces and the IV (made for 7/8 wt. lines) weighs 6.1 ounces according to the Orvis website. Does that help? .4 ounces doesn't seem like alot but perhaps it is...

Thanks,
Seth
Old 07-22-2008, 08:07 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

.4 ounces shouldn't be a problem...you wqan the balance point of the rod/reel to be as close to "under your thumb" to the front of the grip as possible....You won't get as tired casting.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM

Wyatt is on a distinguished road

I loaded My 6wt Okuma reel with 4wt line as a spare and have used it more then my 4wt Okuma Sierra which is a lighter reel, so I'm not sure if it is a balance issue that makes me like the heavier reel more or possibly the difference in the 2 different lines the the Sierra has double taper floating line and the 6wt reel has wt forward floating Orvis.
Wyatt
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

No negitives at all if you don't mind the weight. As a matter of fact you can fill up the spool with extra backing. You might as well go with 30lb on the backing because it is doubtful that you will ever lose the hook, line, and sinker with 30lb.

Never know when you'll hook a new state record......................
Old 07-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesro1978 View Post
Hi Frank-

I just purchased an older Orvis 7-wt. rod; a Trident and I'm looking at putting a Battenkill Mid-Arbor V on it (I think this reel is made for 9/10 wt. lines). The V weighs around 6.5 ounces and the IV (made for 7/8 wt. lines) weighs 6.1 ounces according to the Orvis website. Does that help? .4 ounces doesn't seem like alot but perhaps it is...

Thanks,
Seth

Hi Seth,

That combination would work for me. I think you will find that it also works for you.

Frank
Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 AM

Thanks all! Hope I win the auction...

~Seth