The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 02:28 AM

arno78 is on a distinguished road
Information about reel ross

Godd day to all, i'm in france and i search a fly reel.

I would like to know that mark was widely used in your country or more sold?

I want to buy a Ross, but I would like to know the difference between an evolution, ryhthm and CLA?

Is the evolution 1 suitable for a silk 4, even putting little backing? And for a silk-5 is that it good or just (with little backing)?

Thank you in advance for your answers

Arno
Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Information about reel ross

Hi arno78,

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the Ross USA site. The Ross reels you are asking about are all made in the USA. Some of the lower cost Ross reels are made over seas and probably an Asian country. If you compare the specs below you will see that the construction is similar in all three models. The Evolution is lighter and probably better finished. The larger sized CLR reels are built stronger with a better drag for saltwater fishing.

Since you are asking about a Silk line I assume you are interested in a light line setup. The Evolution is a very good choice if you want a light weight outfit. The #1 would hold a 4wt and I would guess 50yrds of backing. You should be able to use a 5wt on the #1 but with very little backing. If you are considering a 5wt you should move up to a #1.5 reel. The difference between the #1 and the #1.5 is .2ozs and 1/8inch in diameter. It will come down to what size fish you are catching. If you are catching smaller fish that would not get into the backing you might get by with the #1. I would recommend the #1.5 or #2 for a 5wt and bigger fish.

Frank

Evolution
Frame/Spool Material:6061-T6 proprietary aluminum alloyManufacturing Specifications:Fully machined, 1 piece frame, 1 piece spool - manufactured on automated CNC machining centersDrag Material:Delrin 500AF with impregnated Teflon - space-age polymer that is durable, heat resistant, self lubricating and maintenance freeDrag Mechanism:Delrin 500AF to anodized aluminum interface - conical friction drag system Drag Engagement System:Triple redundancy radial pawl engagementSpool Rotation Mechanism:Oil impregnated bronze bushings rotating on a stainless steel spindleNumber of Reels in Series:SixFly Rod Coverage:1 wt. - 8 wt.Fishing Application:Designed for use in all freshwater, warmwater and saltwater fishing environments

Rhythm
Frame/Spool Material:6061-T6 proprietary aluminum alloyManufacturing Specifications:Fully machined, 1 piece frame, 1 piece spool - manufactured on automated CNC machining centersDrag Material:Delrin 500AF with impregnated Teflon - space-age polymer that is durable, heat resistant, self lubricating and maintenance free Drag Mechanism:Delrin 500AF to anodized aluminum interface - conical friction drag systemDrag Engagement System:Triple redundancy radial pawl engagementSpool Rotation Mechanism:Oil impregnated bronze bushings rotating on a stainless steel spindle Number of Reels in Series:SixFly Rod Coverage:1 wt. - 8 wt.Fishing Application:Designed for use in all freshwater, warmwater and saltwater fishing environments

CLA
Frame/Spool Material:6061-T6 proprietary aluminum alloyManufacturing Specifications:Fully machined, 1 piece frame, 1 piece spool with a Delrin pressed hub - manufactured on automated CNC machining centersDrag Material:Delrin 500AF with impregnated Teflon - space-age polymer that is durable, heat resistant, self lubricating and maintenance freeDrag Mechanism:Delrin 500AF to anodized aluminum interface - push frame friction disc drag systemDrag Engagement System:Redundancy radial pawl engagementSpool Rotation Mechanism:Delrin hub rotating on a stainless steel spindle, oil impregnated bronze bushings rotating on a stainless steel spindle (Sizes 4-7)Number of Reels in Series:EightFly Rod Coverage:2 wt. - 13 wt. • Spey 6wt. - 12wt.Fishing Application:Designed for use in all freshwater, warmwater and saltwater fishing environments
Old 07-31-2008, 09:46 AM

Thank for your answer.

I note that the evolution is a good choice.
I note that the #1 is better with a 4 weight line and just for a 5 weight line.....
If i want to fish with a 5 weight line, i buy a evolution#1.5.

But if i want only one reel for my 4 and 5 weight lines, i think a #1,5 is better ;;;;

Thank a lot
Old 07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi arno78,

I think you made a good choice with the #1.5.

In case you don't know, the Ross reels you are looking at have an incoming click. That may not make any difference to you.

Frank
Old 08-01-2008, 10:07 AM

Thank for your answer ...

Whta's a incoming clcik ???

What do you thinj about CLA ??

Thanks
Old 08-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Hi arno78,

Ross makes their reels so when you pull out line, like a fish would do, it gives off a click, click, click. That is a good thing and you don't want a reel with no out-going clicker. Ross also provides an incoming click when you wind in line. So every time you wind in line the clicker is working.

Some reels are made with the out-going clicker but they don't provide the in-coming clicker. So with these reels you don't get a clicking sound when you wind in line. Ross sells a bunch of reels so I must assume the in-coming clicker is not a problem with most people. Some people find the in-coming clicker to be a nuisance. It is not a big deal but I wanted to make sure you knew that the Ross reels have the in-coming clicker.

I think we have some members who use the CLA and like it a lot. I have never seen one so I can't give you an opinion. Maybe one of our members can help you out.

Frank
Old 08-01-2008, 08:53 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Arno,

I have very little knowledge of silk lines, but I do fish a lot with a 5 wt. rod and a WF 5 wt. Scientific Anglers Sharkskin line. The reel that I use is the Ross Evolution 2.0. I wouldn't go lower than the 2.0 if I was going to fish with a WF 5 wt. line. So, I assume that the difference between that and Frank's agreement on the 1.5 is the nature of the silk line vs. the Sharkskin or a similar WF line. In my opinion, and based on my experience over the past couple of years, the Ross Evolution is a very good choice for a reel.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:28 AM

Hello, i look for a ross evolution 1.5, but i don't find in my budget, 200$

In ebay, there's not a lot ross reels !!!!

You don't know a seller wehere i can find it in my price???

Thank
Old 08-27-2008, 11:13 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road

If you are still interested in Ross reels, you will find the conventional (small) arbor Cimarron reels on discount, as they are being replaced next year with a new model. Some internet dealers have them for as little as $112, incuding shipping within the U.S. This an excellent, well-made reel that was a bargain at its regular price of $150. The Rhythm is also on sale, for around $150. They won't last long at those prices.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:22 AM

thanks but i find a evolution reel on ebay.....