The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 08:44 PM

jimeng is on a distinguished road
Default Sage 3200 thoughts and comments

Recently purchased a Sage TXL 7 footer 4 wt for AZ stream fishing, and have my eye on the Sage 3200 . Was curoius how this reel stacks up against others in its price range. And any owners of the 3200 their comments on performance and use.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sage 3200 thoughts and comments

The only Sage reel I have is one made by J W Yojung in England in the mid-80's....it is an excellent reel. I don't know who makes their reels now, but for a 4 wt, I would look at Orvis BBS reels and perhaps the Ross Cimarron...although the drag on the Ross is really more than you would typically need on a 4 wt. If I had the money....I would look at a vintage Hardy - maybe the LRH model with a sweet thumbscrew drag. But enough of the wishing and wanting ---- I use the Orvis BBS and the Ross on my 4 wts...and they balance the rod nicely. What ever reel you select should be as light a weight as possible.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:32 PM

jimeng is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtex50 View Post
The only Sage reel I have is one made by J W Yojung in England in the mid-80's....it is an excellent reel. I don't know who makes their reels now, but for a 4 wt, I would look at Orvis BBS reels and perhaps the Ross Cimarron...although the drag on the Ross is really more than you would typically need on a 4 wt. If I had the money....I would look at a vintage Hardy - maybe the LRH model with a sweet thumbscrew drag. But enough of the wishing and wanting ---- I use the Orvis BBS and the Ross on my 4 wts...and they balance the rod nicely. What ever reel you select should be as light a weight as possible.

That is why the Sage came to mind, very light, and balances well with the Sage TXL for throwing light weight flies and nymphs ..
Old 08-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jimeng,

I have not fished with the Sage 3200 but I have seen them. They seem to be a good reel and I think it is made in Korea. It is lightweight and would be a good match to the TXL. I think it was designed by WaterWorks. The 3200 is a click and pawl reel. The click and pawl design is one design item that is different from most click and pawl reels. If you look at the picture you will see the teeth of the click and pawl exposed on the reel. I don't know if that is good or bad but I wanted to make sure you were aware of it.

You should also look at the Ross Evolution and the Lamson Litespeed.

Frank

Sage 3200
Click the image to open in full size.