The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 08:09 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about
Default 4.5" Dingley salmon reel repair SBS

I started a thread on the Spey clave forums to serve as a photo essay detailing the fabrication of a new clicker gear for this classic Dingley salmon reel. Perhaps some of you may find the process interesting:

Search: "4.5" Dingley reel repair SBS" at spey pages dot com.

You'd think after doing this stuff for a living most of my adult life I'd move on to something else for a hobby. Gardening, raising goats, or some such...

Last edited by ghostdncr; 10-12-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4.5" Dingley salmon reel repair SBS

Have fun with the project. I know that Archuletta can repair it for you, but it will be very worthwhile getting that old dog back into action on your own.

MP
Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Have fun with the project. I know that Archuletta can repair it for you, but it will be very worthwhile getting that old dog back into action on your own.

MP

What he said. Saw/following your speypages thread.

fae
Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Got some additional pics posted in the original thread, for those of you who are following along. It's almost time to start cutting teeth, but before that I have to grind a special cutter...
Old 10-12-2010, 05:24 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, but Bummer. The speypages web site appears to be 'down' (a first????) at the moment.

Fred
Old 10-12-2010, 05:39 AM

I last visited the site around 10:00pm EST (GMT -5) yesterday and it was down when I checked this morning a little after 4:00am. I hope the site gets back up and running soon, as I'm obviously addicted.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 AM

Arn't we all .....

First bookmark in Mozilla/Google in the 'Fishing' section.

fae

Edit: Apparently Sean/Dana know:
"The www.speypages.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience."

That said: "apologise?" How embarrassing!! (Try apologize.)
Old 10-12-2010, 08:59 AM

Looks like spey pages dot com is back up and running, now. Woohoo!

Last edited by ghostdncr; 10-12-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM

I never seem to get as much done as I hope, which is a recurring theme in my life. This weekend's work on the Dingley followed suit.

I had drilled and reamed all of the holes in the black stock deep enough to allow for FOUR gear blanks, it turns out! In this picture, I'm using the shop's little WWII-era Sheldon lathe to cut grooves in the stock down to the depth of the gear teeth. By doing this, I eliminate a great deal of tool pressure on the custom ground milling cutter. I don't want to risk breaking that as it's the only one I have! Notice the double groove between the first and second blanks? That allows me to make a full depth cut through the first blank without touching the second one. If things go wrong, it should be easily seen in the first blank and can be corrected before going on to the other three:

Click the image to open in full size.

Once turned, I proceeded to the vertical mill and futzed around with an indexing head, which allows me to advance the stock 12.85 degrees per cut. This will accurately space the 28 teeth on our gears. I burned up a lot of time getting this arrangement set up to suit me, but hurrying at the stage can easily land a fellow back at the starting point. Here you can see the teeth within about .020" of finish depth:

As this operation progressed, I grew so focused on the task at hand that I forgot to take pictures! I finished cutting the gear teeth and then went back to the lathe. I carefully parted all four gear blanks off of the piece of bar stock and proceeded to stone one side to check flatness. Being acceptably so, I relaxed and moved to the surface grinder to really flatten things out. Remembering the camera, I managed to get this pic. It's blurry, but almost everything in the field of view is moving:

The hardening process works much better if the parts are brought to a high polish beforehand. After grinding, I rough lapped the blanks to ensure flatness and get them one step closer to final polish:

The teeth have yet to be deburred in this photo. Although a tedious job to individually deburr all of them, it's vital and I can do it as spare time crops up during the coming week. After a few secondary machining operations, we'll be ready to heat treat.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really liking this thread!

I'd love to hear the sound of that reel sing when a Steelhead takes off with your fly.

MP