The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

View Poll Results: What Arbor Size reel to you use the most?
Large Arbor 67 45.89%
Mid Arbor 38 26.03%
Standard Arbor 39 26.71%
Other 4 2.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006, 02:47 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Arbor Size Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by FowlHabit
gregory kicks
The arbor is part of the reel spool which hold the line. The general theory of the large diameter arbors is that they produce less coiling of the flyline, which becomes much more of a problerm in colder weather.
With a large or wide arbour reel you will also retrieve more line with each rotation of the spool. I fish with Galvin Wide Arbour reels exclusively, and when a fish swims directly at you the larger arbour is a blessing
Old 09-20-2006, 09:22 PM

greenriverflyfisher is on a distinguished road

Definitely a large arbor. I can't think of one advantage a mid or standard arbor has over a large arbor.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:30 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Arbor Size Poll

I fished with a Pfluger Medalist for a few years & I still have it in the extra reel box along with a few Orvis's ,Cabella's,S.A. System 1 & 2's etc. They're all standard arbor. Just got a Pfluger President large arbor & so far I love it..Got some nice fish with it & "knock Wood" no troubles yet.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorykicks View Post
I honestly have no clue what you guys are talking about.
Are you refering to the size of the reel when you talk about arbor, as in how much line it holds?

impart your knowledge upon me
Greg
Hi Greg,

Take a look at these two pictures. The top reel is a Galvan standard arbor reel. You can see the standard reel has a small diameter arbor (the center of the spool where the line wraps onto).

Now look at the second reel and you can see the larger diameter of the large arbor reel. The standard arbor reel will hold more line than a large arbor reel if the reels are the same diameter and width.
Click the image to open in full size.

[LEFT]Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:56 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Re: Arbor Size Poll

I almost exclusively fish salt for tarpon permit bonefish thus large arbor for large fish which run over the backing before guide gets me back on the fly line to fight the fish.
Tarpon heavy 12 wt, Ross Canyon BG 8, and Orvis Mach 6 England not China.
Tarpon light; Permit Heavy 11 wt, Abel 4N
Permit light,bonefish heavy 10 wt Seamaster Dual Mode
Bonefish 9wt Abel 3N

However, in my opinion, you don't need high-end toys for Tarpon. I have caught 2 80-100 Tarpon on an inexpensive Teton 12 using tournament style in hand fighting of the fish...reel drag 2 lbs. This style was, I believe, originated by Stu Apte. However, as an old man I have come to realize you only can have one Rod and Reel, and One Shotgun in your hand so I like to hold the best that can afford even if I only have one or two.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Frank, regardless of what they call it, the first picture as you said is a small arbor or TRADITIONAL, however the second is a Mid-Arbor or Wide Arbor (meaning in between Traditional and Large from the HUB and they are wider reels)
Here is a true Large Arbor:

Traditional you can get the max amount of backing, Mid-Arbor about half max and Large arbor Minimum backing (30 to 50 yrds on the average)
Each time you turn the handle all the way around on a Large arbor you are bring in 10" to a foot of line at a time. Advantage if you want to land the fish fast or it swims at you.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:08 PM

Joefishin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinUTAH View Post
I have Large Arbors but like the Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor better.
I have a chance to pick up an Discontinued Battenkill Large arbor#5. I do realize that it comes at the expense of backing capacity, but, I needed one more reel to fit to a rod. $140 plus tax. The Orvis dealer didn't have any spare spools in stock. But, overall is it worth grabbing, or let it go? I did get my mid arbor Battenkill#5 today. It is stuffed with 30#backing (200yds+). Kind of a small real in relationship to the Mach5, Votexes, etc..

Anyone know why they canned the reel?? What kind of value is $140 vs parts availibilty, etc..

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Actually Frank, regardless of what they call it, the first picture as you said is a small arbor or TRADITIONAL, however the second is a Mid-Arbor or Wide Arbor (meaning in between Traditional and Large from the HUB and they are wider reels)
Here is a true Large Arbor:

Traditional you can get the max amount of backing, Mid-Arbor about half max and Large arbor Minimum backing (30 to 50 yrds on the average)
Each time you turn the handle all the way around on a Large arbor you are bring in 10" to a foot of line at a time. Advantage if you want to land the fish fast or it swims at you.
Hi Joni,

Hhmmm, your picture is a large arbor but that doesn't mean the large arbor I showed is not a large arbor. It just is not as extreme as your reel. I was just trying to help the fellow out and not confuse him.

So here is an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor. Should we tell them it is not??

Click the image to open in full size.<LI class=carat>Battenkill Large Arbor Big Game Reel Completely new large arbor series built off the wildly popular Battenkill Mid Arbor design. The best-value, high-performance large arbor reel anywhere.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 AM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Orvis large Arbor for me, like the fast line recovery
Old 05-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Joni,

Hhmmm, your picture is a large arbor but that doesn't mean the large arbor I showed is not a large arbor. It just is not as extreme as your reel. I was just trying to help the fellow out and not confuse him.

So here is an Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor. Should we tell them it is not??

Click the image to open in full size.<LI class=carat>Battenkill Large Arbor Big Game Reel Completely new large arbor series built off the wildly popular Battenkill Mid Arbor design. The best-value, high-performance large arbor reel anywhere.

Just a FACT. There are MID-ARBORS and there are LARGE ARBORS. Battenkill, Lamsen Lite Speed, etc., but that Galvin IS a Mid-Arbor/ WIDE ARBOR, but, I will give you the fact that they CALL it a Large Arbor, because Galvin and Ross do not have a so called MID-Arbor. In fact I think Orvis was one of the first to CALL it a Mid-Arbor, so not a big deal. But there is a difference in reality.....not really confusing at all.
The reel in your picture is a BIG GAME reel, there for the picture doesn't show it's true size.