The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

View Poll Results: What Arbor Size reel to you use the most?
Large Arbor 67 45.89%
Mid Arbor 38 26.03%
Standard Arbor 39 26.71%
Other 4 2.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 08:06 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Arbor Size Poll

the best benchmark is spool diameter...what is it? 4 4.5, 4.75, 5...then spool width...the spool depth determines the amount of backing with a given wt...if a Ross BG 8, Abel Super 12, Tibor Pacifica, et al had depth to the spool axel...use could fly a kite to the moon on 50 super braid
Old 08-11-2007, 07:53 PM
wyefly is on a distinguished road

hi, yes i like your style Joni there is no shame in running down the bank side after a fish, lol.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

standard arbor for me. i DO have a galvan OB-3 (large arbor, but there are larger :-), and a lamson radius mid arbor. i don't feel a need for anything larger than a standard arbor design for trout on streams i fish and i don't have anything i'd call a problem with coils. for retrieves i just let the line fall at my feet for trout up to 17 inches. i use a meisselbach airex 373 and an orvis battenkill 3/4 currently. i'm going old school it seems... :-)

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
While I own several LA 1, 2, and 3's, I just branched out and bought the Vosseler Rim Drag LA. Sweet and very smooth reel. I got the custom GREEN which at a glance looks like the Galvin. I see several more in my future.
I like the idea of a rim drag, so I control it.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:36 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Traditional you can get the max amount of backing, Mid-Arbor about half max and Large arbor Minimum backing (30 to 50 yrds on the average)
Actually Joni you've painted with too wide a brush. If you have a phony large arbor like some that are simply standard sized spools with a larger hole at the the spindle then yes, they do hold less backing.
If it's a true large arbor, built that way from the get-go with a wider spool then there is no or little loss of backing capacity. What you gain from a true large arbor has been mentioned but you also get a more consistant drag setting as the line is pulled out since the outside diameter of the coiled line doesn't change as quickly or as radically.
True larger arbor for me no matter what the quarry because of less coils, more line take-up per rev and more consistant drag.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Actually Joni you've painted with too wide a brush. If you have a phony large arbor like some that are simply standard sized spools with a larger hole at the the spindle then yes, they do hold less backing.
If it's a true large arbor, built that way from the get-go with a wider spool then there is no or little loss of backing capacity. What you gain from a true large arbor has been mentioned but you also get a more consistant drag setting as the line is pulled out since the outside diameter of the coiled line doesn't change as quickly or as radically.
True larger arbor for me no matter what the quarry because of less coils, more line take-up per rev and more consistant drag.

I agree one hundred per cent. However, to me anyway, a TRUE large arbor is ex: The Battenkill which doesn't hold a lot of backing.
Orvis came out with the MID which to me was like the GALVIN for ex. While the Lamson Lite was a LA and others.
But, technically, LARGE doesn't just mean bigger, it would also mean wider.
It is confusing because some do have a WIDE arbor line also.
As you mentioned it all boils down to what has less coil in the finished product and the right drag.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:51 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I use them all, equelly..depending on species and lines..i voted other
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
I use them all, equelly..depending on species and lines..i voted other
Me too---From a tiny Cfo for a 2 wt through Hardy St.George and Perfects to Able Super 8 to Tibor Billy Pate Tarpon and Gulfstream
Old 02-18-2008, 08:27 AM

hsmith1313 is on a distinguished road

I voted other. For trout, standard arbor. For saltwater species (bonefish, striper) large arbor. Most trout I catch are landed without using the reel so arbor size matters little. (I know, I need to fish where the fish are bigger) Bonefish and stripers both can run right at you at high speed and large arbor picks up line faster thereby allowing me to keep the line tight.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:50 PM

adrian is on a distinguished road

i fished my first waterworks force about 6 years ago and retired my old battenkills, which i used and loved for 10+ years. i now have 2 and a litespeed . the force 2 is a tad over 3 oz, the force 3x is just shy of 4 ounces and the litespeed 1 is 3 1/2 oz. a sunup to sundown day of steelheading (is that a verb??) on a big river or trouting (it can only gets worse)on a small PA stream and i can really tell the difference. maybe it's my age, 50, but between the weight and retrieve rate i could never go back to a standard arbor.

don't mean to sound like an advert for Lamson, but they rock!
adrian