Ross Evolution or Evolution LT 1.5

fireroad

Reaction score
Looking for a reel to match up with my Scott A3 4wt. All my 5 asnd 6 wt reels are Ross Rhythms. I would like to stay with Ross and get a reel on the lighter side. Would folks recoment trying to find a discounted (there are not many left) Evolution or get an Evolution LT when I find one on sale. The Evolution is just outside my budget right now. Thanks in advance!

fireroad

Reaction score
Most of the Evo's I see are going for almost as much as the EVO LT. Plus, If I by and Evo LT my fly shop would through in a free line where as I would still need to buy a line with the first gen Evo.

Then only reson I hesitate with the Evo LT is I can't find any long term reviews on that model.

fishiowa

Reaction score
If you have patience you can find the originals at a good price. They weigh less and hold more backing (I know, amount of backing on a trout reel isn't a big deal). I have 3 and love them. Personal opinion but I like the looks better also.

wonderfulremark

Reaction score
The chances are you will almost never put the fish on the reel but you'd probably rather strip the line in.. why not buy a cheaper reel??

But then, I am so happy with my Ross Rhythm on my 6wt.. I'd definitely buy another one if i could......

ddombos2

Reaction score
If there is an original out there in black, you'll have to fight me for it. I have an Evo 1.5 and a Spare spool. My goal is 2 Evo's and two spools so I can rig two 4 wts or two 5 wts, or a single one of each by using only two reel frames. Not having to think about a reel having to go with one or the other.

If you are just buying a single reel and you have no reason to really need the older model, then I would say buy a new one and get the free line.

FrankB2

Reaction score
The Evo and Evo LT have the same drag system. They changed out the plastic parts on the drag knob, and the frame and spool design. The last two
are fine, but will not hold as much line and backing as the oold Evo. I went with Evo LT #3's for my 4 and 5wt lines, and that was just right. I did have an Evo LT #2, but thought that was too small for even a 4wt. It looks good until you put it into action: quick winding of line back onto spool especially. The only thing I didn't like with the Evo LT was that the reel seat on my 4wt rod was able to cut into the reel's foot a tiny bit. That never happened with the original Evo's. I don't know if they used a softer alloy, or if the foot's profile allowed the reel seat to clamp down harder on the foot. Both Evo's are dandy performers, but the Evo LT is MILES ahead in appearance. The Evo LT looks smaller in the same diameter as the old Evo, with the original Evo having a more visible profile (despite the 180 holes drilled into it :eek: ).

P.S. I read someone's comment on Cabelas review of the original Evo, and they said the plastic drag knob looked like something from a Happ Meal. I couldn't shake that image from my mind, and bought the Evo LT's. ;)

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Here's a pic of the old and new Evo's on the same rod. Both are #3 on a 5wt rod (3.5" diameter):

Evo LT:

Original Evo (Some may have seen this pic before :D:D:D :

I did have a Rhythm 1.5 on a 4wt rod for quite some time. It worked out nicely, but you'd never get the same amount of space with the Evo LT 1.5 reel.

ezamora

Reaction score
speaking of appearance, anybody notice a similarity?

just joking. saw someone else make the comparison years ago. nothing against the evos. :)

gjcordray

Reaction score
The chances are you will almost never put the fish on the reel but you'd probably rather strip the line in.. why not buy a cheaper reel??

But then, I am so happy with my Ross Rhythm on my 6wt.. I'd definitely buy another one if i could......
I would say the exact opposite. Unless it is a fish smaller than 12 inches, I always try to get it on the reel. Not that I need the high tech drag for a fish that small, but because it eliminates the line getting tangled around my feet, equipment, fish. Even a 14 inch trout can make a nice initial run or two and if it gets into a healthy current and you have 6x tippet, you will appreciate the drag.

I own and fish both rhythms and Evolutions. I absolutely love my original Evolution 2 that sits on my A3 5 wt. It has landed some really big fish and is very light. I have never minded the plastic drag knob really, and could care less about the appearance. I was actually thinking about swapping out my rhythm 1.5 for an Evolution Lt 1.5 on my Scott G2 4 wt. just to upgrade. If I could find an original Evo 1.5 for around $200, I would get in right now. However, at under $300, the Evolution LT is, by current market standards, a great price for that quality of reel made in the USA. The weight and drag system are worth the money. Let me know if you find a good deal on the original Evo 1.5. I have been looking for weeks.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Yo Eric.... :eek::eek::eek: and then.... :D:D:D My original design Evo's always drew kind remarks, so that's not a big issue. The newer Evo's metal parts are nicer, however. The idea that Ross took the design for the old Evo from a sink strainer is no more far-fetched than the idea that the Evo LT looks remarkably similar to a Galvan reel. ;) Finding one of the old Evo's on eBay has become impossible, just like the Rhythm (although there were LOTS of Rhythms on eBay at great prices).

Drag: I used a LOT of 6X tippet on little flies this past Spring, and the made extensive use of the drag system on Evo's and Rhythm reels. They really saved many trout from breaking off, and I had several trout take me on LONG runs.

fireroad

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great input. I could look for a cheaper reel, but I have a collection of broken ones at home that have ruined trips. I have two Rhythms and the have been bomb proof but, and I would get another one but want more sensitive drag for the little fish (I let the reel do the work sometimes on the little guys). I'm glad someone pointed out the lack of capacity on the Evo LT, that kills the deal with me. I guess now it's look for a discontinued evo or maybe a Lamson velocity. Any other suggests in a light weight reel for a 4 wt?

FrankB2

Reaction score
I wouldn't let the backing capacity kill the deal. The difference in weight between the Evo LT sizes is 1/10 oz, so just buy one size larger. It worked for me. ;)