The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 PM

tranquilidad is on a distinguished road
Red face Novice Seeks Advice for Warmwater Reel

I am brand new to fly fishing so I am still trying to feel my way around the equipment and terminology... If anyone could provide me with assistance it would be appreciated...

I am wanting to get a warm water fly reel...

Details:...

Primary use: Largemouth Bass, Panfish, Crappie.
Rare use for: Trout (very rarely if ever, nearest trout water at least four hours away)
I live in northwest tennessee near Reelfoot Lake... Possibly go into southern missouri and northern arkansas also...

As far as reel requirements go:...
200 - 250 dollar range
Single Action
Disc Drag - (best drag material ???)
Large Arbor - (preferably deeper than wider)
7/8 Weight
Machined Body and Spool
Non-Corrosive material

Reel will be matched with a 7/8 wt., 8 1/2 - 9 ft., medium to medium fast graphite rod (don't know what brand, any advice on this would be appreciated)... Line will be 7/8 WF-F and 7/8 WF-S...

Any comments, concerns, non-commercial reviews and personal experiences more than welcomed... Please tell me you top three picks... I am in information overload... I prefer American made and sold by manufacturing company if possible...

The brands in consideration are as follows, no particular order:

Redington Titanium CDL 7/8... Lamson Guru 3... Lamson Velocity 3... Lamson Litespeed 3... Ross Rhythm 3.5... Ross CLA 4... Ross Evolution 3.5...
Old 09-22-2008, 07:51 PM

flyflingerandy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Novice Seeks Advice for Warmwater Reel

Ok, you have opened a huge can of worms here. If the primary use is warmwater, the absolute heaviest you should go is a 5/6. Leave the 7/8 for saltwater. Judging from your reel choices, you plan on carrying a lot of line, but I recommend the Lamson Konic 2. You can get into that reel for $129, and put that on a 9' Sage FLi 5wt. If it were me, I would overline that rod with a WF6F Rio Gold and enjoy.

For the species you are targeting, you can get by with as light as a 3wt under all conditions. Even a 2wt is not out of the question, but if this is one of your first rods, get an 8'6" 4wt with a Konic 1 and enjoy!
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 PM

tranquilidad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflingerandy View Post
Ok, you have opened a huge can of worms here. If the primary use is warmwater, the absolute heaviest you should go is a 5/6. Leave the 7/8 for saltwater. Judging from your reel choices, you plan on carrying a lot of line, but I recommend the Lamson Konic 2.

For the species you are targeting, you can get by with as light as a 3wt under all conditions. Even a 2wt is not out of the question, but if this is one of your first rods, get an 8'6" 4wt with a Konic 1 and enjoy!

I am coming into this blank slate...

The reason I was going with the 7/8 was that so many of the other forums and fly fishing info pages stated 6,7 or 8 for largemouth bass... I would probably be cool with 6/7 wt. rod/reel if thats an option... In my area the average weight bass caught in daily local limits are 3-8 lbs each. Also will be fishing primarily in medium to large lakes with heavy vegatation... No typical flyfishing rivers in area (3-4 hours away)... I wanted to have a chance for whatever I may catch... Have many windy days as well... Also, I read in multiple places that 2/3 weights were for small trout... I was picking those size reels to match that weight rod... I am definitely not a know it all in this area...

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Old 09-25-2008, 11:34 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I would disagree on the 5-6 recommendation especially for a beginner. Throwing oversized bass bugs is a real bare with a six weight. Plus if you want to get into sinking lines and fish into the season (when bass go deep) you'll want the heavier rod. I would recommend an eight weight if your going to be throwing a lot of big bugs at large mouth. For Bluegills that five weight is perfect. And Ultimately you'll want to add a lighter rod (it can do double duty for trout too). As far as reels I wouldn't worry to much about the reels drag unless you plan to fish Steelhead / Salmon or SW with it later. I have caught Smallmouth over seven pounds, but I have never had a bass get into my drag. Drags aren't near as critical for most warmwater. The exception to that is Carp and Stripers.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Novice Seeks Advice for Warm water Reel

When I go out for bass and panfish, I bring two rods. A good 8wt, and a low end 5 or 6wt for the panfish.
I use $25 Medalist reels on both rigs.
I have never had my drag tested by a bass or even a pike. And the Medalist could handle it even if the situation presented itself
A expensive reel with a fancy drag is not warranted for the type of fishing you have planned
Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tranquilidad,

I take a little different approach to "Big" Bass fishing. I think you need a good drag that you can really apply a lot of pressure to the fish. I set the drag much higher than I would when fishing for big Trout, Salmon or Steelhead. You are talking 3 to 8 pound Bass. I have caught 8lb bass and I can tell you that is a fight. You need your 8wt rod and a drag you can almost lock down. I use 10 to 20lb leaders. I fish in Florida and some of the water you will be fishing is similar. That is water with lots of wood, grass and other break your leader stuff. You have to horse these fish out of cover. Once they are out of the cover the battle is won. Most of the time when fishing hydrilla and the fish gets into it, you will lose the fish. You will be casting heavy and big flies. Again, the 8wt is a better choice.

One problem you are going to have is this is not the best outfit for catching Crappie and Sun Fish. A 3wt is a good choice for this fishing. The 8wt is too much to get any fight from these small fish.

For a reel in the price range you are considering, with the features you have stated, take a look at these.

1. The Orvis Large Arbor Big Game.

2. The Teton Standard.

3. The Teton Tioga. I like the Teton Standard better than the Tioga.

The Teton reels are full cage reels and a lot of reel for the money. The Orvis Large Arbor is new this year and is a good reel. Any of these reels would work in Alaska or Salt Water if you ever get the chance.

If you want to save some money, the Teton Tioga would be a good reel in the $150 range.

Frank
Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

You'll want an 8 wt, both for turning over the size of flies that larger bass want to eat and to be able to pull them out of stuff too. I've never had a Bass get onto the reel, but your results may differ.

8lb bass can be landed on a 3wt but that doesn't mean its the best tool for the job. Larger bass generally don't have much interest in the type of fly that can be easily thrown on a 3wt or even a 5wt. You also run a high risk of breaking a 3-5wt rod if you fish the size of tippet needed to pull Bass out of cover.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.