The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:00 PM

simms will become famous soon enoughsimms will become famous soon enough
Default GALVAN SPOKE REELS! Any reviews/opinions?

Hey Guys,

I have a Galvan Torque that gets upset when I put it in my reel bag as there are a half dozen ross EVO/LT's glaring at it. So I want to get this guy a brother, and was looking at the Spoke. They are a flashy reel that sure did catch me! HA! I like the fact how light it is and the drag system. Regardless, a Torque OR Spoke will be purchased soon, just unsure which one. Have not seen many reviews on the Galvan Spoke... Was wondering if anyone has any experiences with them? THANKS! Tight lines!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:12 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GALVAN SPOKE REELS! Any reviews/opinions?

I like to consider the Spoke a flashier version of the Torque. It is a sharp looking reel. It uses the same drag as the Torque. I have not fished a Spoke, but a loaded up Spoke 5 seemed to balance a 9 foot 5 weight rod.

My guess is that if you like the performance of a Torque, you will like the spoke.

MP
Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 PM

Thank you for the QUICK REPLY!

Would I be able to squeeze on a 6 weight line on the Spoke-5 if need be?

Looks like Ill be going with the spoke. Especially since Galvan will work with me to get the "spokes" iodized bronze

Thank you again!

Keep the replies coming!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't have any issues using a 6 weight line on a Spoke 5. You should fit about 100 yards of 20 pound Dacron with a WF6F which is plenty for any 5 or 6 weight rig.

MP
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

If you want to really make those Evo's jealous put a Galvan Open Back in there.

Frank
Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Frank

Hasn't GALVAN discontinued the Open Back? And their Standard reel?

Paul
Old 10-20-2010, 12:00 PM

OB?

I am not fan of those. I not only like functionality, I like good looks from the reel too. the OB is ugggllyyy

I may go with the SPOKE.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:27 PM

The Open Back and Standard models have been discontinued. There are still some floating around at shops.

Galvan will continue to service OB and Standard models and stock a limited amount of spare spools. I am not sure, but I think the spools will only be made in black.

The Rush model for 2011 was redesigned to look like the Open Back while retaining its same dimensions. New Rush spools are compatible with Torque and older Rush frames frames. The new Rush models will be available in black, clear, and green.

MP
Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 PM

Still trying to decide on the SPOKE or TORQUE... HELP GUYS!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: GALVAN SPOKE REELS! Any reviews/opinions?

If you want a Galvan Torque is their premium reel.