The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:39 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Nautilus FWX compared to Galvan?

Just an FYI, while the claims these drags are not very stout on the top end, that is true, they are set that way as most of their use is with light leads...

HOWEVER

That does not mean the drag itself is light, it can be adjusted to work better with stronger tippets, just have to send it in to Nautilus to have it done...
Old 02-14-2012, 04:04 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I am new to Nautilus, I got an NV with the Giga 8 spool option for my NRX #8 bonefish rod last year. This reel is in the upper eschelon of light reels with linear, potent drags with but a handful of legitimate contenders to compare it to. NV is quite different from FWX despite similarities in appearance. For big strong gamefish, the NV is clearly the way to go, however, I am suitably impressed to the extent to be considering a FWX for my 5 weight this soon to come season.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:25 PM

schizz is on a distinguished road

I just picked up a FWX 3/4 today. It's so sexy. I thought it was great reel for the price. I was trying to stay under 300, and there are some great reels to be had in that range. No question that the drag is not as stout as some others in this category but, I fish almost exclusively for trout and I have always palmed when needing more drag vs. adjusting drag mid fish. So under 300 was my goal and coming in under 250 I think it is really hard to overlook these reels. I think it is a nice fit with a 4 wt rod. May be more reel than needed at this wt, but my hopes are usually bigger than my fish.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:35 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

OK, just striped line from the FWX 5/6 adjusting the drag as I did. Very smooth and linear with excelent fine tuning adjustability. The drag setting at max is not like an Abel for sure but stouter than I am ever likely to set on a trout rod. Probably suitable for steelhead but this is not a big game reel, that is the terrific NV's roll in the Nautilus line up. Wisely, they recognize that it is awkward to have a uniform design that encompasses trout to tarpon, few reel designs are optimal accros such a spectrum. I now have more experience with NV than this little FWX and the NV is a great reel. I look forward to the FWX proving itself to be as good a trout reel as the NV is a bonefish reel.

Incidently, a virtue of FWX compare to some of the other hub-drag reels mentioned above is the larger sweep area of it drag is bound to be smoother under load than the smaller diameter set ups on some competitors.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:01 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
Just an FYI, while the claims these drags are not very stout on the top end, that is true, they are set that way as most of their use is with light leads...

HOWEVER

That does not mean the drag itself is light, it can be adjusted to work better with stronger tippets, just have to send it in to Nautilus to have it done...
I never realized that. I might have to send in my FX 7+. I've always been concerned about taking it out for steelhead. I wonder if they can just beef up the pretension setting so the drag adjustment doesn't top out as soon.

Cool!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

I just requested the drag adjustment spring from Nautilus. According to them, it reduces the amount of "play" in the drag knob near freespool and can add a little extra pressure on the top end.

Last edited by ddombos2; 03-19-2012 at 08:57 PM.