The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 AM

simms will become famous soon enoughsimms will become famous soon enough
Default Nautilus FWX compared to Galvan?

Hey Guys,

Sorry for anothet thread, however someone on here mentioned to take a look at the nautilus FWX and the reel is a GEM! WOW! Looks are awesome and apparently the drag is top notch! Anyone have any reviews on the Nautilus FWX? Now I am on the fence again! Help me out guys! Thanks!
Old 10-21-2010, 10:49 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Nautilus FWX compared to Galvan?

FWX & 100 bucks doesn't look bad either.
Then there is Allen & 200.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The FWX reels are remachined FW series reels. Reel frame sizes are the same, but the porting is different. The spool dimensions are new. The drag systems have not changed.

Compared to other reels, the Nautilus FW/X drag system is butter smooth on startup, but it lacks some high end stopping power. For a trout reel, that's ok. For larger fish, like Steelhead or Striped Bass, that isn't ok. I fished a FW7+ that belonged to one of my fishing buddies for Steelhead. I had to set the drag almost to its highest setting to get some stopping power. If I used my Abel, my drag would had been set half way.

MP

Edit: I found the Galvan Torque drag system has more drag on the high end compared to the Nautilus FW/X reels.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 10-21-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added something.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:37 AM

simms will become famous soon enoughsimms will become famous soon enough

Thanks Guys!

Well, this reel MAY see some steelies during spring time on my six weight...Perhaps I should stick with the Galvan then?

These reels looks super cool and drags are nice, however after you just told me they lack high end power, I am skeptical.

Ill tell ya, I think the Nautilus takes the Galvan in the looks department!
Old 10-23-2010, 02:46 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

For what its worth, my FW 7+ is my steelhead reel. I can tell you that it does not have the ultimate top end that some drags have, but I've not had an issue. I do palm all my reels when a little extra drag is needed.

The new FWX reel is compatible with the old FW and FW + spools, which is awesome for me. I'm looking at the FWX 3/4 to use on my 4wt and a FW 3+ spool for my 5wt rod.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:30 AM

bass bug is on a distinguished road

Hi i live and fish in Norway.Sea bass sea trout, i use the Lautinus ccf fly reel on a #7 spey one hands cast awsom reel

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

Never heard of Lautilus.Try Nautilus
Old 04-03-2011, 07:39 PM

gaflydawg is on a distinguished road

I am also looking at a Nautilus FW 7+ reel for myself! Anyone have one for sale?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
FWX & 100 bucks doesn't look bad either.
Then there is Allen & 200.
Imxr: Just wondering where you saw the Allen reels priced at $200.
Justin's website shows the Trout series priced at $110-115 and the Alfa series priced at $105-115 (but he will give members of the forum a nice discount). Allen Fly Fishing

Larry

Old 04-04-2011, 06:22 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Larry, I was referring to the savings on The FWX & Allen compared to the
Galvan price. i.e. FWX + 100 bucks = Galvan price: or: Allen + 200 bucks = Galvan price. In other words, a good reel, Allen, with $200 bucks left in your wallet. Hope this is at least as clear as mud. Sorry about the misunderstanding. Paul

Did you get to the San Juan?

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

I have an FWX 3/4 and a FW 5. The drag system is adequate for most freshwater species. If you are ultimately looking for a reel with a drag system capable of routine steelhead fishing and light saltwater fishing, then I would recommend the NV 6/7. I am very satisfied with the Nautilus reels I own.