The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 02:31 PM

Leahcim is on a distinguished road
Default airflo balance reels ?

Anybody had any experience with one? Thanks
AIRFLO BALANCE FLY FISHING REEL 7/9 + 2 spare spools - eBay (item 230302647028 end time Oct-24-08 13:09:12 PDT)
Old 10-24-2008, 02:48 PM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird
Default Re: airflo balance reels ?

that looks kinda odd for a fly reel....
Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

That's a 3-D rendering. I wonder why they don't have actual pics of it.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Leahcim,

I have never seen one and don't know anything about them but that won't stop me from making a few observations.

1. It seems like the drag is not very big in diameter.

2. There is an exposed gear that is probably for a click. I don't like reels with an exposed gear.

3. There are a lot of screws holding every thing together. You will have to on top of those screws or LockTite them.

4. The spool does not mate into a groove on the frame. I think the chance of getting the fly line or backing between the frame and the spool is high. That would be especially true with backing.

5. I don't like the way the reel seat is attached to one side of the frame. Atari use to be made that way and I guess it worked. Not the way I would have done. With this reel it seems that the real seat will have a lot of leverage on a frame that is not too sturdy.

This may be the best reel ever built and I am just looking at a drawing. So don't take my comments as gospel.

Frank
Old 10-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

YOOOO, where you guys been! I bought the one smaller for my 5 weight and would love to get another.

With shipping and US dollars it was under $100. Plus it is sooo kewl looking!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:27 PM

Hi Joni, I am not trying to be a smart ###, but could you elaborate on "kewll"? Thanks
Old 10-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Your hand is half on top of the reel instead of in front, so it balances more like a rod/reel without the line.
Very good drag, easy to remove the spool and no parts to loose. Lightweight!.

Just different from the traditionals. And it is a LARGE ARBOR with allot of backing capacity.
Titanium colored and nice machine. SMOOTH.

Like I said, I WILL be getting more. I want a 6 now and a couple of spools. Probably switch my lines on my Orvis Mid Arbors to these cause they are lighter and my rods are allot lighter.

One more thing. It isn't any larger than my Orvis Battenkill LA II
Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 PM

Thank you Joni, you have probably made my next purchase more expensive. If y'all [educated redneck version of yall], ever get near the Elk River, Winchester,TN., I've got a 16'9 old town; drop & pick up, non grattis. I am 2 miles away from a sweet heart of a river. Native Browns as long as your arm in 8" water,....mouses at night beasts. Just to clarify,faithfully married, 4 boys. Thanks, Michael
Old 10-24-2008, 10:23 PM

Married here too, but man I would love to make the trip. Maybe next year I can do a cross country thing. Mr. Bill Oyster has invited me to one of his bamboo making classes and I would love to do that, and some good friends in the NY area want me to come to some of their local fly tying shows. I got to get out and see the world...now if my lotto ticket would just co-operate.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:40 PM

All is Good.