The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 07:10 PM

einarsson is on a distinguished road
Default New patented fly reel brake - thoughts?

Hi guys and girls,

I am a small reel manufacturer in Iceland and we are just about to release a new reel with a new patented brake system.

In short it is a simple, still very effective system, that makes the brake very smooth at the start of the run. When the spool starts to run the brake level is zero. It turns about 45° gradually reaching the adjusted brake level.

Here is the info on the new reel: Imagine that you are on the river bank, casting at a fish, quivering in readiness for the take. Suddenly you can feel your line stretching, your rod bends and the energy from the fish surges through your tackle. You are into the fight, as the synapses fire off in your brain the pleasure which every fly fishermen knows so well consumes you, holding you transfixed in the moment. Until you are snapped back to reality as the line breaks or the hook pulls out!

This is where our new way comes into play. The drag system that we have designed reduces the required start up inertia by overcoming the breakaway friction as the reel spool begins to spin, alleviating both the shock and the brief delay in allowing line to be dispensed from the reel. This smoother delivery translates into more control at the take and during sudden strong runs.

Let’s wind back and look at the physics. When the fish pulls out line the fly rod bends and what actually happens is that the line, leader and rod are storing this energy. Modern fly reels then convert this stored energy from the fish into heat at the brake system, always with a measurable spike in brake away friction.

The technical revelation ‘Einarsson Fly Fishing’ is presenting to the fly fishing world has the ability to store part of the fish-generated energy in the reel system - for the first time ever brake away friction is actually zero.

The new brake system ensures that the transition in the brake system is softer* compared to leading brands in the reel market. The system will level out shockwaves during a take or fight, such as those from jumping and head shaking of the fish. This invention allows you to experience more pleasure, through the use of lighter tackle, less snapped leaders and surely more landed fish.

These new reels are now in a final test and evaluation period and will be launched late 2010.

Einarsson Fly Fishing wants to thanks the Icelandic Technological Developement Fund for their support, but the new smooth reel project recived support from the fund.

All comments are appreciated. I appologise if this seems too 'marketing' or is considered a spam. I will drop the thread asap if that is general view of the users.

Thanks,

Jonpall

Last edited by mcnerney; 10-23-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: New patented fly reel brake - thoughts?

Jonpall, when are you going global or at least North America? You do have a nice looking reel.
Send a couple my way and we'll give it a good testing.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jonpall: Sounds like a very interesting drag system, you have my interest, now when will your new reels be released in the U.S.A.?

Larry
Old 10-23-2010, 12:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by einarsson View Post

All comments are appreciated. I appologise if this seems too 'marketing' or is considered a spam. I will drop the thread asap if that is general view of the users.

Thanks,

Jonpall
"No Dog in this fight" Jonpall, but given the link is to your 'advertising/buy it here,' it would be appropriate to contact 'Admin' and become a site sponsor.

Fred
Old 10-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Fred,

I invited this poster to explore our business / advertising packages via PM yesterday. I have not heard back from the poster as of this time. Currently I have not made any judgments regarding what to do and have not ask opinions from any other Admin people here. These posts are a curiosity to me given that they come from established businesses. Why not just become a business member? I also invited the poster to become active in the forum, as stated I have had no reply. Sooner or later we will make a decision about marketing posts so stand by.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-23-2010, 12:40 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: New patented fly reel brake - thoughts?

Your/Admin's call Ard. But a 'first post' sort of deal always catches my attention.

fae
Old 10-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I understand completely.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I removed the link to the commercial site and inserted the information on the new reel for everybody to read.

Larry
Old 10-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator

That will work, thanks Larry.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:13 AM

einarsson is on a distinguished road

Hi again,

Really sorry about the link. I should have done what the admin did and not include the link. My idea was to try and get some feedback on our idea for the brake and if people would grab the idea.

I do not have a store selling our reels in the US and it makes no sense for me to use this forum for some aggressive marketing. So I am thankful for admin´s response. I saw his feedback (I did not get an email... just saw it when I log on right now) and have requested a business membership details.

I am really thankful for the good feedback and I have some mail that gives me a good feeling about our idea for the brake.

Jon Pall Hreinsson
Einarsson Fly Fishing