The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 10:07 AM

tajbrookie is on a distinguished road
Default WTB: Spool for Orvis Battenkill 8/9 disk reel

I am in dire need of a spare spool for my older Orvis Battenkill 8/9 disk reel. If you have one that you can part with, please let me know. Thanks very much!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: WTB: Spool for Orvis Battenkill 8/9 disk reel

Hi tajbrookie,

I think your best bet is to call Orvis and see if they can help you. If your reel looks like the picture then Orvis has spools.

Frank

Battenkill Disc Drag Fly Reel

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:01 AM

Thanks, Frank. I'll check it out. I called yesterday and the person I spoke with said they didn't have them anymore - but, I didn't really trust her as she seemed pretty unsure of herself. I'll try calling back and talking with a different sales person.

Thanks for the tip! Based on the photo, that's my reel alright.

-taj
Old 10-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi taj,

If you can get a hold of the right person they may be able to tell you what store in the US might have your spool. That is if yours is older than the one they are now selling.

Another thing you might try is to call the Orvis Rebuild department. They probably can tell you if the new spools will fit. Here is a comment from the Orvis overhaul department.

"You'll have your completely overhauled reel within two weeks. Questions? Call 800-778-4778 to speak with a technical adviser."

Here is some other contact information in the service department. The live chat may be a winner. I think if they can't answer your question they will get back to you.

Located right in our Customer Service Center in Roanoke, Virginia, our experts can follow up on any question right away. Give Live Chat a try - we’re happy to help!
Other ways to contact our Customer Service Center:
  • <LI class=style1>by E-mail: Customer Service
  • by phone: 888-235-9763
I hope this helps you out.

Frank
Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Frank,

Thanks so much for your continued suggestions. I called Orvis today and spoke with someone in the fly fishing dept. who really knew his stuff. He went ahead and put in a request to the rebuild department for me and says he's pretty sure he can get me a used (I think refurbished) spool! I should know more later in the week. Apparently, Orvis discontinued the 8/9 and now offers the 7/8 in its place with an allegedly different spool size. So, we'll see how it shakes out. I'll let you know and thanks again for your great suggestions. I head to norther NM in about a week and I'm really hoping to pickup the extra spool to load with heavier line for my 6wt. rod as some of the rivers are pretty hefty from what I've read...

Cheers.

-taj
Old 10-27-2008, 10:04 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Try this place: Home - New & Used Fly Fishing Rods and Reels - www.tradenstuff.com

If he doesn't have one, he might be able to find one for you.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:33 AM

Thanks. I e-mailed with him but he only has the entire reel - no spare spools. I think I have a line on one from the W.F.F. (another fly fishing forum) so hopefully, I'm all set. If anything comes up or anyone has other suggestions, I'm still all ears - these suckers are hard to track down! Ugh discontinued fly gear! ;-|