The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 09:57 PM

amsherbondy is on a distinguished road
Default Steelhead Rod 'N Reel for WA

Just moved into the WA area and am looking for a recommendation on what kind of Steelhead/Salmon rod and reel to get. My price range is somewhat limited right now, so I was looking at stuff on the cheaper end.

I've found the St. Croix 8'9" 8wt Legend 2-piece, for about $150. Also saw a Cabella's Three Fork 8 wt, with Pfluger reel for $40 (seems to good to be true).

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Steelhead Rod 'N Reel for WA

Hi,

I live in Alaska and fish for Steelhead and whatever else is on the menu. I have a few different rigs that cost some appreciable bucks like Orvis, Hardy, and Sage to name a few but the absolute best value that I found (and fish the most) is called a "Quarrow" fly rod.

Go to eBay and type in Quarrow Fly Rod and you will find them. I bought a 9' 7wt. about a year and a half ago and it is outstanding in every way. The price was around $62 delivered! They have great hardware and fish every bit as well as any other rod I own!

The larger fish in the picture was a 22Lb. 38" Pacific Silver Salmon landed on the rod (that's it in the pic) I've caught Kings and all the others on it too.Attachment 1238

You can read my full review on the rod at "reviewstream.com" type in my user name "Hardyreels" to find the review or just enter Quarrow fly rod into the search box. I love it and can't say enough good things about them. The 9' is a three piece rod with a covered case, very nice.

Don't blow a bunch of bucks without considering this brand. If you check the reviewstream site for all my reviews you may find some other items that you may enjoy hearing my opinion of. Stuff like binoculars, cameras, knives, you get the picture I hope.

Good luck and I hope that if you buy a Quarrow you'll let me know how you like it.

Ard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_00070001.jpg (96.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

bondy,

I forgot to mention the reel, the one on my rod pictured is a Hardy Viscount #7/8 LA disc. These are a discontinued reel but can also be found on eBay as a matter of fact if you're quick there is one listed now. (ends in about an hour)

Unlike most of the older Hardy reels the LA Viscount Disc does not have a wimpy drag. It'll stand up to whatever comes your way. If you are not in a big hurry these reels come up for sale relatively often and sell around $125 - $165 normally. LA is the designation for large arbor. They work great or I wouldn't use one for my quest for the big guys.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 PM

ben in the woods is on a distinguished road

Welcome to WA!

Aside from price. I would recommend a little bit longer rod than that 8'9" 8wt. that you mentioned. If you go with a longer rod (9'6"+) you will have much better control whenever you have to mend the line in a swing. Not sure what part of WA you are in, but I'm in the Seattle area and just moved out here a few months ago. What I did was find a local fly shop and they were happy to share their knowledge of local rivers and fish, and also what type of set-up to use and why. Here's a link to a rod on the less expensive end.

Temple Fork Professional 8WT-9'6"-4P - 10% Cash Back at The Avid Angler Fly Fishing Outfitters

Good luck and feel free to run any other questions by me. I have been busy learning as much about NW fly-fishing as I possibly can and would be happy to pass any info along.

Ben
Old 11-29-2008, 12:45 AM

amsherbondy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate your info as I'm very new to the steelhead scene. Saw some folks working them today as I got tons of whitefish, and am even more motivated.

Aaron