The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Ross Rhythm: Worth Buying at a Discount?

Hi Frank,

Well I don't own any Ross reels because I can't get past the incoming clicker. They make a good reel but I will stick with reels that don't have an incoming click. If you fish with a partner and your are somewhat separated on the water, every time you wind in they will think you have a fish on.

However, I do have an English made System II reel that I used for years with an incoming clicker. I had to check it and it sure does have a nice quite incoming click. So I guess you can get use to it.

Frank
Old 12-17-2008, 01:19 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

OK! I just spoke to Brad at Ross Reels, and asked him about spare parts, and
of course the incoming clicker. He said that the drag systems on the Rhythm
and Evolution are identical, and the parts are inter-changeable. He then
confirmed what I had suspected: the Rhythm's incoming click is louder than the Evolution because the Rhythm has more aluminum material to resonate!
I had considered the Evolution, but Brad said the only difference is the weight.

I told Brad that my purchase of the Rhythm reels was based largely on their
being Made in the USA, and asked that Ross continue to offer reels made in
this country. He said that they would always offer at least two (wow) USA
made reels.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:27 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

After putting on a zillion yards of backing and a 6wt line, the incoming
clicker's sound was muffled considerably. I was only able to use it on the
water for about 30 minutes, but it did what it's supposed to do. After speaking with Brad at Ross, and looking at the Evolution and Rhythm side-by-side, I can see why Ross dropped the latter reel: They Evolution seems to be nothing more than a Rhythm with much less material. The imported reels
that are supposed to replace the Rhythm's price point are porkers, so.......