The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 12:26 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ross Rhythm: Worth Buying at a Discount?

The nearby L.L. Bean is selling these reels for $150. I checked them out a
few days ago, and they seemed fine. I was just wondering if anyone has
been satisfied with the reels reliability. I'd use the #2.5 size, and it be
used on my 6wt rod.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: Ross Rhythm: Worth Buying at a Discount?

Ross reels are great, plus the Rhythm is made in America. Worth purchasing at full price if you can afford it, buying at a discount is a no brainer in my book.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:46 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

That's all I needed to hear! Thanks!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:46 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

DO IT!!! i bought one full price, and i am still satisfied (mine is a five weight and it stopped a 13 pound steelhead that i hooked up in WA. I was fishing for redsides when the steelhead took. Excellent quality reel
Old 12-16-2008, 08:53 PM

Well.....I bought two #3 Rhythm reels tonight, and the buyer's remorse is
setting in. The incoming click sounds more like a worn bicycle
chain. The outgoing click is dandy. I looked at the Evolution reels, and they
had a pleasant click in both directions. If I keep these reels, it might be wise to buy a few of those cheesey plastic escapement rings.

I dunno............................................. ...
Old 12-16-2008, 09:12 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Well.....I bought two #3 Rhythm reels tonight, and the buyer's remorse is
setting in. The incoming click sounds more like a worn bicycle
chain. The outgoing click is dandy. I looked at the Evolution reels, and they
had a pleasant click in both directions. If I keep these reels, it might be wise to buy a few of those cheesey plastic escapement rings.

I dunno............................................. ...
Frank, it's going to be like fishing with Sharkskin for the first time. After 10 minutes of fishing you don't even notice the weird sound it makes. You got a great reel there.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:15 PM

Hi Mojo, I've read enough of you posts to respect your opinion. Guess I'll
keep them for now: LL Bean is open 24/7 until Christmas Eve....LOL!!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:30 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Mojo is right, the clicks are audible, but theyre not harsh or loud. Stick with that reel, if you dont like it you could probably sell them very easily at the discount price.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:24 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I've got a #1 and #1.5. These aren't loud as I see it. Quiet compared to other reels, IMO. The drag works great. I've caught smallies and trout with both, and the drags worked fine. The machining, fit and finish is very nice.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:40 PM

Hi Guys,
I spun the reels again this morning, and finally figured out what the incoming clicker sounds like: the jib winches on our sailboat. The reels are
much more quiet, of course, but with a microphone.......!

The best test is out on the water, I suppose