The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 11:04 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default BBS III or BBS IV for a 9' WT????

Since buying my first BBS III a couple months ago, I've bought two more.
There like Pringles...LOL! I need a snazzy reel for my 6wt, and two local
shops each have one Made in England BBS IV. The BBS III just seems kind of
small for a 6wt rod, and I was wondering if anyone could make up my mind.
One of the shops has the BBS IV on sale for $115: the Chinese-made BBS
are full price there, they just want to dump the Made in England reel...WHAT?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: BBS III or BBS IV for a 9' WT????

Hi Frank,

Looking at the line weight capacity, a III will hold a 6wt line and 100yds of 20lb backing. That is enough for me but if you wanted more it will hold 150yds of gel spun.

The IV may be a little large for a 6wt but it would work fine for a 8wt if you fish an 8wt. I can hear that Made in England calling to you.

The III weighs 3.9ozs and the IV is 4.5ozs. If your 6wt is a 9' fast action you might like the balance of the 1V a little better. It depends on the rod.

Orvis is having a sale right now and if you buy a rod they give you a Mid-Arbor reel for free.

Frank
Old 12-22-2008, 11:58 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Frank,
I tried the BBS III on the 6wt (St. Croix LU), and it's definitely leaving the
outfit tip heavy. I thought that spooling 200 yards of backing would add
enough weight, and also increase the arbor size with the IV. I should at
least buy the $115 reel.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Frank B, I have the BBS IV for my 8 weight. I fish a BIIx so I wanted fairly light. With the Multi tip line and ALLOT of backing (can't remember how much, but I know more than I will ever use)
The reel with the basic line (without the 15' tip) weighs 6.05 oz. I love it!
Old 12-31-2008, 10:16 AM

Hi Frank and Joni, I bought the BBS IV last night, and it was marked down even further to $109! My wife pays zero attention to line winding, and often
jams wide arbor reels. She puts zero tension on line when winding it back onto the BBS III spools, so the IV size with a couple hundred yards should cure this .

I first saw this particular reel at Frenc Creek Outfitters maybe 4 years ago, and it was marked down to $129 (from the old Made in England price of $149)
and then $115, and last night's price finally made it too irrestible! I like the
chinese-made BBS reels I have, but the UK BBS seems a bit more refined.
The shop that I bought 3 chinese-made BBS III's from has a Made in UK BBS IV as their store display, so I may go over there and buy that. I have to start
a collection.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 PM

Benford is on a distinguished road

I use a BBS III on my 9' 4wt, and I make due with it on my 8'6" 5wt, but if I were to use a 6wt rod, I would personally go for a Mid-Arbor reel...Orvis of course.

Yes they charge a bit more, but they guarantee anything they make and if it screws up they'll fix it. I'll pay a little more for that kind of service...

Just my two cents
Old 01-03-2009, 06:42 PM

I bought another Made in UK BBS IV for today. My wife and I fish 6wt's at
the same time, and I'm starting a collection of Made in UK BBS's...

P.S. The backing on the BBS IV's is 1 7/8" in diameter, giving me what I'd consider a mid-arbor. Weight with that much
backing is 5.50oz.