The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 10:14 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cortland Retro Reel

I had a visit today from my regional Cortland Rep. Of all the products that he had, he was most excited about the new Cortland Retro reels. They are old school, standard arbor, narrow width, click and pawl reels. They will be available in two sizes: #1 (2/3 wt), #2 (4/5). The frame, foot, and spool are machined from aluminum barstock. The click and pawl drag system is a knock off of the Hardy Lightweight series. Unlike the Lightweight series reels, the Retro has a palming rim. Cost will be around $130ish.

The Retro series reels would compliment the Diamondback glass rods well.

Click the image to open in full size.

One thing that I noticed this year is that more people are actually asking about click and pawl reels. Over the years, I had to work hard to sell one. Now, it takes less effort. I'm trying to figure out the change in attitudes about click and pawl reels.

MP
Old 11-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cortland Retro Reel

Looks good indeed. I'm also a fan of them for small rods, and have fished my Ross Colorado II more than anything else.

This reel from Redington looks even better though- Fly Reels - Fly Fishing Reels - Redington Reel - Drift Reel 2/3 - Black

Mid arbor and cheaper

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The Drift is another fine example of a price pointed machined click and pawl reel. My girlfriend has the 2/3 model. We have landed 16" and 18" Rainbows that had to be fought off the reel. The click drag did not overrun.

MP
Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

You asked why the change of heart back to click 'n pawl reels?
For smaller reels I never was a huge fan of overweight, overly complicated and expensive drag reels. I like the simplicity and light weight of my old Orvis CFO's and Hardy clickers. At one time they weren't all that expensive... especially when compared to what they go for now. I really like the human touch drag palming allows and the way I can manage to a silly degree what amount of drag I need. That little feature right there is handy when a fish takes enough line off of those non-large arbor reels to change the drag setting considerably.
Mostly though it's a weight thing for me. I know many say that a few ounces ain't much but it sure does feel nice to fish all day or for several days in a row with a very lightweight rig.
Oh, and as any Hardy owner will tell you, the sound of a well made clicker is actually a fish call!

Now that they resurrected the click 'n pawl reels I wonder when some brilliant large rod maker will quit with the silly race to make the daintiest rod like the 000 and get back to making some very short 4, 5 and 6 weights for those of us who like to throw junk in tight spaces. I just fished a 6', 5 weight I built just for that purpose and, though I was stuck building on one of the only blanks available in that configuration, would like to have the option of casting a few factory rods of that nature to pick the taper that works best for my needs.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
You asked why the change of heart back to click 'n pawl reels?
For smaller reels I never was a huge fan of overweight, overly complicated and expensive drag reels. I like the simplicity and light weight of my old Orvis CFO's and Hardy clickers. At one time they weren't all that expensive... especially when compared to what they go for now. I really like the human touch drag palming allows and the way I can manage to a silly degree what amount of drag I need. That little feature right there is handy when a fish takes enough line off of those non-large arbor reels to change the drag setting considerably.
Mostly though it's a weight thing for me. I know many say that a few ounces ain't much but it sure does feel nice to fish all day or for several days in a row with a very lightweight rig.
Oh, and as any Hardy owner will tell you, the sound of a well made clicker is actually a fish call!

Now that they resurrected the click 'n pawl reels I wonder when some brilliant large rod maker will quit with the silly race to make the daintiest rod like the 000 and get back to making some very short 4, 5 and 6 weights for those of us who like to throw junk in tight spaces. I just fished a 6', 5 weight I built just for that purpose and, though I was stuck building on one of the only blanks available in that configuration, would like to have the option of casting a few factory rods of that nature to pick the taper that works best for my needs.
Jackster, I have friend and sometimes a gentleman up your way (Bo Cash, Morgantown) who feels the same way. I agree, the ideal stick for places like the smokies is something like a 6 1/2' 5 weight. While those fish can be small, they like fairly large stuff in tight places, its tough to do that with a two weight. In MI we run into some surprisingly large brookies in some of those tight places, I really feel undergunned with less then a four weight. It isn't like you can let them run 100' in the places where big brookies live.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
Jackster, I have friend and sometimes a gentleman up your way (Bo Cash, Morgantown)
I met Bo several years ago in a way I won't be allowed to mention here.
Bo knows more about fly fishing than most anyone I know. Some of that must come from him planning life well and taking summers off since birth!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

I don't even consider a drag reel until I get up to 5wt. And sometimes not even then. I don't even care for the drag adjustments on a click reel. Just as long as it doesn't tangle my line. I use a Ross Colorado 1 on my 3wt.

I have done alot of looking at click reels lately and it does seem there is more interest in them these days. Hardy, Leland/Red Truck, Abel, Sage, Orvis and others.
I thought it was interesting that Sage came out with a large arbor click drag. And Orvis has a limited edition CFO click reel. Only 400 of them though.

It always seemed like overkill, to me, and waste to have a center drag on a small fish reel. Like the Galvan Standard for instance. The same drag as the Openback? I have a Standard 3.25 on a 5wt and it's very nice. I would like to have a Standard 3.00 or 2.75 in a click version. Oh well! There is getting to be alot of nice choices out there now so I will just have to make due.

I haven't tried one, but the Leland Ranch Sonoma looks pretty nice for 120.00. And I see they have just added another clicker for 300.00. But they don't have a picture of it on the site yet. I guess that speaks more about the interest in click reels too!