The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 PM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road
Question Ross Cimarron 1 Fly Reel - Suitable?

Hi-

I'm considering purchasing a Ross Cimarron 1 fly reel (and extra spool) for both my 3 and 5 weight Steffen Brother's fly rods. Does anyone have any experience with the Cimarron that would like to give an opinion of the reel? I'm very interested to learn about the drag on this reel as well as the durability.

A little background here - I've been considering getting an older Orvis Battenkill click/pawl but I like the fact that the Ross is made in the U.S. and that Ross in general, has such a stellar reputation.

Thanks for any help you can give!

~S
Old 01-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ross Cimarron 1 Fly Reel - Suitable?

GREAT reel. I use one on my long 3wt, and the guru I learned from fishes one on his long 4wt.

In fact, I'm after a spare spool for one. Anybody wanna sell one for $50?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:52 AM

JimG will become famous soon enough

Check out Sierra Trading Post - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands they have a bunch of Ross closeouts on sale.....CHEAP

Jim
Old 01-12-2009, 10:09 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Ross closeouts...one of the local shops is selling Ross Rhythm
reels from $130-$145 (#2 and #3 sizes). Look around for those. I've
used other peoples' Cimarron reels a few years ago, and they get the job
done, but I'd look deals on Rhythms first.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:42 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

I have two (2) Ross Cimarron reels.

One is on my 9' 5wt Scott & the other is on my 9' 4wt Sage.

These reels are awesome. I have never had any trouble whatsoever.

Each reel has a very good drag, but it depends on what fish you are going to target with your rods.

Smaller fish, at least from my vantage point, really do not require letting them pull on the reel drag. I typically will just bring them in via the pinch-pull. (Pinch the fly line against the cork, then strip the line back to you. )

I too had considered purchasing a Pflugger reel. but decided to spend a few extra bucks & get the lifetime warranty on my reels.

Tie One On
Old 01-13-2009, 01:17 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

I just visited the Ross Rhythm close-out sales suggested above, and I'd jump on them. I own both the Cimarron and the Rythm, and the Rythym is the better reel by far...although there both good. The rythm is essentially the Ross Evolution (a premium reel that I think retails for about $240), just a tad heavier. The Rythm has a better drag and I think it's lighter than the Cimmaron.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 01-13-2009, 02:58 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I called Ross when I was buying the discontinued Rhythm reels, and the rep
told me that the Evolution and Rhythm are the same reel, but the Evo has
more holes/milling to make it slightly lighter. He said the spools are interchangeable, and the drag parts are identical.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:38 PM

lefty2 is on a distinguished road

is the cimarron still in production?
Old 01-31-2009, 09:34 PM

The Cimarron and Rhythm were both discontinued in 2008.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:21 AM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

Extra spools for Cimarron and Rhythm are still available. If anyone wants a great deal on a reel, buy one of these discontinued Rhythm reels on close out sale. As I said above, it's the same as Evolution ($250?) with a few fewer holes.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley