The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough
Default The new Guru?

I was wondering if anybody had actually had their hands on the new Lamson Guru? If so, how does it handle compared to other reels in that $200 price range? And, does anybody know if it is made in America like the other Lamson products? I have always fished Ross (with one excursion into the Orvis line) but have heard so many great things on this site about Lamson I just have to give them a try. The litespeed is just a bit pricey for what I plan to use the reel for.

Sorry if this has already been discussed on this forum. I checked the posts going back a few weeks and didn't see anything.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:21 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The new Guru?

I purchased a Lamson Guru 2.0 about 3 weeks ago and love it so far. It is light and has the same drag as the Litespeed. Like you, I couldn't see spending the extra money for the Litespeed, but I think the Guru is a great deal. The other reels in my arsenal are an Orvis LA and a Lamson Konic. Used to have a Ross Rhythm and a Cimarron, but I sold both of them and went with the Lamsons instead. Nothing wrong with the Ross reels. I just personally prefer the Lamsons. I also like the Orvis reels.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:56 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

I ordered a Guru last night and hope to have it in "3-6 business days". Same great Lamson drag, not cast like the Konic, cheaper than the Lightspeed/Velocity. Seemed like a good value approach. I'll let you know....
Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys. My gut was telling me that it was a quality product. Would still like to hear from Sep once you actually do some field testing - hopefully with a hog or two on the end of the line. I keep hearing rave reviews about all Lamson products. It's funny how we all tend to have a certain amount of brand loyalty. I hear people who have owned five Ross reels, others swear by Lamson or Galvan, while still others buy strictly Orvis or whatever other flavor. I guess it's a nice problem to have in this world - lots of well-crafted products to choose from.

I would still like to hear from others who have used one of these. Also, are they made in America? The price suggests Korean or Chinese, but as far as I have ever heard, Lamson is strictly a US made product. I wish Ross could still say the same (end of brief political comment).
Old 02-04-2009, 06:18 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the local fly shop last year to look at Lamsons, and the Konic was
not made in the USA. Cabelas loves to put a USA flag next to any product
made here, and that flag is absent on both the Konic and Guru. Ebay
dealers are giving away the "old" (2007) Lamson Velocity reels: something
like $125-$150!

EDIT: I just went to Lamson's site, and they make a point of stating that the Litespeed and up are machined
in the U.S., but nothing is said of the lower models' country of origin.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

My new Guru 3.5 arrived at the house on Monday, though I was up on the Davidson frightening trout. Didn't get to play with the reel until yesterday when I loaded it with 250 yards of SA 20lb backing and 100 yards of 8wt Sharkskin GPX. Ready for the big boys. First impression is very positive. Nice workmanship, decent size/weight, smooooooth drag, thought the real test awaits out in some body of water. I was sorely tempted to tie a 12 lb leader to the dog's collar and go "play fetch", but that ultimately seemd a bit crazy. Fun, but crazy.

My only quibble is the crank handle. I have come to like the paddle shaped one on my BBS Mid Arbor, so the simple round one felt a bit spartan, especially after cranking up 350 yards of line when loading. That's a nit of an issue though and does not dampen my enthusiasm for the reel one bit. I really look forward to putting it to use soon.

Sep