The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 09:26 PM

ejnovinsky is on a distinguished road
Default info on old shakespeare reel?

In keeping with my vintage approach using grandpas old bamboo rods I figured Id use one of his old reels as well, and was curious if any of the old timers here had maybe seen one like it. its a skakespeare reel, gray aluminum, says model HF on it, then above that it says Russell no. 1895. Heres the question,. My grandfathers name was Russell, and he loved putting his name on all his stuff for some reason, so is the russell something to do with the reel, and just coincidence? or did he have his name put on the reel, and if so what does no 1895 mean? Id like to also know how old this reel is, I assume its not worth much since its pretty beat. It had the most insane amount of backing on it Ive ever seen.....yards of weird plasticy twine that had melted and varnished over the years into a near solid mass, once that was off it was a layer of mono, then another layer of plastic misery, then a layer of cotton butchers string, but after it was all off cleaned and lubed the reel works great, so its going right on the black beauty. heres a couple pics if anyone wants to take a crack at it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_0207reel0001.JPG (56.6 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 2009_0207reel0004.JPG (57.4 KB, 167 views)
Old 02-08-2009, 03:32 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: info on old shakespeare reel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejnovinsky View Post
In keeping with my vintage approach using grandpas old bamboo rods I figured Id use one of his old reels as well, and was curious if any of the old timers here had maybe seen one like it. its a skakespeare reel, gray aluminum, says model HF on it, then above that it says Russell no. 1895. Heres the question,. My grandfathers name was Russell, and he loved putting his name on all his stuff for some reason, so is the russell something to do with the reel, and just coincidence? or did he have his name put on the reel, and if so what does no 1895 mean? Id like to also know how old this reel is, I assume its not worth much since its pretty beat. It had the most insane amount of backing on it Ive ever seen.....yards of weird plasticy twine that had melted and varnished over the years into a near solid mass, once that was off it was a layer of mono, then another layer of plastic misery, then a layer of cotton butchers string, but after it was all off cleaned and lubed the reel works great, so its going right on the black beauty. heres a couple pics if anyone wants to take a crack at it..
The Shakespere Russells are a series of reel that came out pre WW II. 1895 was the model number.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 02-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good, solid reel and would make a great partner for your old cane. There are a couple on here going for 60-80 bucks to give you some idea of present value to collectors, but keeping it in the family would be the best tribute.

R.W. Summers - Reels

peregrines
Old 02-08-2009, 05:48 PM

ejnovinsky is on a distinguished road

I had found out some more info on it searching last night.........I always assumed hed had it customized with his name! weird coincidence......yeah Im definitely holding onto it.....Id have to buy another reel if I didnt lol.......
Old 04-09-2009, 10:47 PM

7XBWO20 is on a distinguished road

The HF has to do with the year the reel was made. Shakespeare Russell reels were made back in the 1920's-1930's. The 1895 reel was the Trout model, I have the bigger 1899 Steelhead/trout model with a much wider spool to hold more line. The 1899 model has ball bearings like the hardy Perfects. The reel I own was also made the same year as yours cause it also has the model HF on it.
Robert
Old 09-18-2011, 11:42 PM

possumsniper is on a distinguished road

I won an 1892 on Ebay and got it in the mail this weekend. Reel is in perfect working order. Can anyone tell me what weight fly line I should use on it? Guess I need to find a vintage rod to put it on now.

Last edited by possumsniper; 09-19-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by possumsniper View Post
I won an 1892 on Ebay and got it in the mail this weekend. Reel is in perfect working order. Can anyone tell me what weight fly line I should use on it? Guess I need to find a vintage rod to put it on now.
It's not too clear to me what the model numbers signify on these reels. They don't correspond to size as the Medalist model numbers do and probably have more to do with the reel's features. Suffice to say that if your reel has a diameter of about 3 inches, it's a good size for a 5 or 6wt line.
You can figure out the year of manufacture here.
Shakespeare Fishing Tackle