The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 04:40 AM

steely34 is on a distinguished road
C. Farlow Fly Reel - Need some help.

First off I guess I should introduce myself as a new member to the forum. Just joined today and being a flyfisher for some 35 years now and being as I actively search the 'net for new ideas and such, I can't believe I never came across this site. Looks like a good one and a place I'll be referring to quite often.
Anyway - I was wondering if anyone can help me identify a fly reel I pruchased yesterday at a public sale. I paid $12 for it and it was part of a box lot that came with some old bait boxes and such. When I saw the reel I knew it was a old one. I had never heard of C. Farlow reels and when I came home and began my search on the internet, I saw pictures of a few Farlow's but none like the one I have. I understand that Farlow was a competitor to Hardy in the early 1900's. There is no box with it and the line on the reel - well I took it off since it was a Scientific Anglers line and did not look good on it. Here are some pictures of it and if anyone has any info on Farlow reels please let me know. Better yet - if you have any resources (web sites) that you know of that I can find out more info on Farlow's let me know. I'd really appreciate your time. Thanks so much!

Attachment 1731

Attachment 1732

Attachment 1733

Attachment 1734

Attachment 1735
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF1 resized.jpg (25.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg CF4 resized.jpg (36.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg cf3 resized.jpg (39.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg cf7.jpg (100.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg cf8.jpg (100.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-15-2009, 11:57 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: C. Farlow Fly Reel - Need some help.

I can't help you with the reel, but welcome to the board!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Steely: Welcome to the forum and it looks like you got a great looking old time reel, I don't know anything about them though. Maybe someone will pop in that has some knowledge of the C. Farlow reels.

Larry
Old 02-15-2009, 04:43 PM

steely34 is on a distinguished road

To those who may be interested - I got some information on the above reel I have posted from another antique reel forum. Apparently the frame was cut off to allow for "palming" with the finger. This was done often since back in the early 1900's some of the reels did not have adjustable drags on the click and pawl drag systems. For sure it does decrease the value of the reel. C.Farlow was a manufacturer that competed with Hardy in London. The drag on this particular Farlow is a unique click and pawl system though. Anyway - after giving it some thought I decided to keep it and use it time to time on the stream. It balances quite nicely on my Winston and I'm sure that it has seen it's share of time on the water. At my age I would rather enjoy the sound of the reel singing it's tune to a fish hooked than looking at it on the mantle from time to time. The cut frame does add to the unique character of the reel and I have fell in love with this item.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I know about the Farlow reels is that Lee Wulff used one (click/pawl) along with a $13 glass 9wt to catch the first fly rod marlin.

It's funny the things you remember
Old 02-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Rip,

The rod was blue and they were in a little skiff, I'll never forget the picture of that myself. Thanks for reminding me of it.

About the reel, I was going to say that it had a broken cage but you've already tabled that matter, hope you can get some use from it.

Ard
Old 02-16-2009, 10:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a pair of Medalists with a home 'customized' drag.
Instantly and infinitely adjustable and it works as well as any mechanical drag

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.