The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

View Poll Results: What is your favorite reel brand
Ross 50 17.54%
Galvan 25 8.77%
Abel 19 6.67%
Lamson/Waterworks 57 20.00%
G. Loomis 2 0.70%
Bauer 6 2.11%
Sage 10 3.51%
Orvis 52 18.25%
Hardy 23 8.07%
Scierra 0 0%
Tibor 14 4.91%
Bass Pro 1 0.35%
Cabelas 4 1.40%
Nautilus 11 3.86%
Reddington 9 3.16%
Teton 2 0.70%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 03:02 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite Reel Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooJim1961 View Post
Mine is Martin and I mean the old Classics that were USA Made. I have several of their old reels only one of the Classics it is the Classic M-78 that takes 7 & 8 Weight line I use it on my Corland 9 ft Bass rod. On my trout Rods, I use one of their M-65 Trout Reels on my Diamondback Trout Rod and I have an extra Spool for it. One spool has WF-5F line and the other is strung with DT-5F. On My Browning Short rod I have a M-61 El-Cheapo with WF-4F. I have had them for several years and they are still working GREAT!!!! I am looking for some more of their Classic reels . Please see my Ad in the classifieds.
Jim
Jim,

I fish two older Martins; an M-61 like yours and and MG-3. Both "tuna can" reels, but very, very nice. I use the MG-3 on my vintage glass Fenwick 5'3" 5 wt. It will take a full fly line and about 5 yds. of 20 wt. gel spun backing. For small pocket water; where I never hook fish that are going to get me into the backing, I love that rod/reel combination.

Bulldog on the fiberglass flyrodders forum did a complete refurb on both reels for me last winter and they both fish like new now.

Pocono
Old 05-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Allen,

What do you mean by a complete refurbish? My MG3 was my deceased buddy Charlie Spangler's reel and it is scuffed from contacting the bottom of his boat. I would love to have it looking like new.

Ard
Old 05-08-2009, 04:50 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Allen,

What do you mean by a complete refurbish? My MG3 was my deceased buddy Charlie Spangler's reel and it is scuffed from contacting the bottom of his boat. I would love to have it looking like new.

Ard
Ard,

By refurbish, I mean that the mechanicals were reconditioned to good working order. I did not have the reel refinished.

The work that I had done on a collection of vintage reels; Martins, Youngs, etc., was performed by Ron MacAlpine. Ron is one of the moderators on the Fiberglass Fly Rod forum and performs repairs, refurbishments on vintage reels. He's excellent and extremely knowledgable. If you want that MG-3 refurbished, then he would be my choice. He's very easy to talk to and, in my opinion, his charges are very reasonable. I'd suggest reaching out to him by going to the website and PM'ing him:

fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board - Yuku

There are people associated with that site who do complete restorations on reels and Ron could probaby put you in touch with one of them; if you want to go that way.

Pocono
Old 05-08-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Ard,

By refurbish, I mean that the mechanicals were reconditioned to good working order. I did not have the reel refinished.

The work that I had done on a collection of vintage reels; Martins, Youngs, etc., was performed by Ron MacAlpine. Ron is one of the moderators on the Fiberglass Fly Rod forum and performs repairs, refurbishments on vintage reels. He's excellent and extremely knowledgable. If you want that MG-3 refurbished, then he would be my choice. He's very easy to talk to and, in my opinion, his charges are very reasonable. I'd suggest reaching out to him by going to the website and PM'ing him:

fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board - Yuku

There are people associated with that site who do complete restorations on reels and Ron could probaby put you in touch with one of them; if you want to go that way.

Pocono
Forgot to mention, Ron goes by the name "Bulldog1935" on that forum; after one of the old Pflueger models. I've just PM'd him about the black 3 12" Young Beaudex that he has for sale. Go to his profile page to check out his work and his reels.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:35 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

I have very limited exposure to different reels, but I love my Galvan. It is light years beyond anything else I have.

BTW, I have a Hardy Featherlight for my spring creek rod and I don't get all of the 'love' for these reels. They are nothing special IMO. :ducksforcover:
Old 06-25-2009, 10:22 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a big fan of Abels. The machining quality and finish is top notch. These reels last. I own a 1996 Big Game 3N for my 8 weight. It's still going strong after years of use and abuse. My 1998 Big Game 4N (used on 10-13 weights) helped me catch countless amounts of Tarpon, Roosterfish, Dorado, and Pacific Sailfish. It's going strong with the original cork drag! These reels won't fail!

I won't say anything bad of many of the brands on the market. There are lots of quality products at various price points. It has almost come down to which reel looks best on the rod.

MP
Old 07-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Ben Waller is on a distinguished road

Orvis for me.

Ben
Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Eight Weight is on a distinguished road

Well...I guess I don't get to vote on this one.

I have two favorite reel brands and neither of them are listed in the pole, which is okay, since there are so many to choose from.

My personal favorites are Scientific Angler and Martin.

I've used the Martin for many, many years and have landed a lot of fish with it...kind of interesting since it doen't even have a drag system on it.

Anyway, to each their own...

EW
Old 10-19-2009, 03:47 PM

bandree is on a distinguished road

I own a Lamson Lightspeed 1 and I absoluely love it. I use it with a 3wt Scott A3 and sharkskin line. Caught many many bows with the set up. The largest trout I've caught on the Lamson Lightspeed 1 was a 22in Rainbow.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:13 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Weight View Post
Well...I guess I don't get to vote on this one.

I have two favorite reel brands and neither of them are listed in the pole, which is okay, since there are so many to choose from.

My personal favorites are Scientific Angler and Martin. EW
Don't know which particular Scientific Anglers reels you like, but my favorites were the ones made by Hardy, identical to Hardy's Marquis. Thus, I voted for Hardy, although I must say that my recent acquisition of several Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock reels would be a close second (& maybe first if it weren't for nostalgic reasons).