The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

View Poll Results: What is your favorite reel brand
Ross 50 17.54%
Galvan 25 8.77%
Abel 19 6.67%
Lamson/Waterworks 57 20.00%
G. Loomis 2 0.70%
Bauer 6 2.11%
Sage 10 3.51%
Orvis 52 18.25%
Hardy 23 8.07%
Scierra 0 0%
Tibor 14 4.91%
Bass Pro 1 0.35%
Cabelas 4 1.40%
Nautilus 11 3.86%
Reddington 9 3.16%
Teton 2 0.70%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Favorite Reel Brand

lamson for the win.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:08 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are Allen reels on the poll? One of our sponsors, killer deals and outstanding products.

Kelly.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

After fishing with a few and handling MANY MANY reels, probably 25-30 models I sided with Frank and bought my first two REAL REELS. I have two Galvan's. In trout sized reels I was impressed with the following list:

Nautilus (coolest motto "Tested on Animals") , Lamson (Best Drag), Galvan (Best All-Around), Vosseler (German Quality and Beauty, as Joni mentioned, not on the list), Abel (Best Craftsmanship, though I would prefer the new space-age stuff over the old cork), Hardy (though they are not what they used to be; ENGLISH)

I was not impressed with:

Orvis new battenkills, Ross evolutions (way too many plastic mechanisms), Teton-Very sloppy but also half the price of the other American makes.

Last edited by ausablebrown; 02-08-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:09 PM

gaflydawg is on a distinguished road

I am also looking at a Nautilus FW 7+ reel for myself! Anyone have one for sale?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:49 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I have a few Pfluegers, and they aren't bad for the price. If I were going to drop some more coin on a reel, I'd either go Orvis or Nautilus. Might actually look for an older BLA or an FWX to go on my next steelhead/bonefish rig. Depends on how much cash I have at the time of purchase .
Old 04-09-2011, 10:42 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Having fished a vast variety over the past 25 years there are several that come to mind, both good and not so good. My first reel was my dad's Pflueger from the sixties, a good reel and still well made by today's standards. Later I started fishing the Lamson reels, these were the original Lamsons back when they were their own company before Sage owned them or Waterworks existed. These early LPs where solid and bulletproof but they were quite heavy. The drag system was certainly smooth enough and for the money you got a good product. About that time I began working at a full Orvis store and was exposed to their offerings. This was in the early 90s and sadly the majority of Orvis products were terrible. Sure, there was a few exceptions such as the CFO reels and later the early DXRs (made by Lamson) but many of their other reels and many of the Orvis rods were substandard when compared to Sage, Scott or Winston. I recall a tense exchange with my employer when he discovered that I was fishing a Sage rod with a Lamson reel. He asked "what's the matter, is our products not good enough for you?". My simple response of "no, they're not" didn't make him happy. His problem not mine, and to be honest Orvis marketed to a crowd that wanted the name and image and based on many of our customers, they would not know the difference. It sounds like Orvis has really improved in both rods and reels in the past ten years.

Some other standouts that I fish were my friends Ari Hart reels. These were as much modern art as they were a reel, if you see one for sale I suggest picking it up. They're just a cool reel to own.

Later I started fishing the Sage 700 series reels that were made by Loop. These where the first large arbor reels and were quite different looking. In fact I just traded off my last one, a Sage 707 after nearly 20 years of service.

When Sage purchased Lamson they started making a saltwater series reel that featured a draw bar type drag similar to the Fin-nor, Seamaster and Able reels. These were an interesting departure from the usual Lamson LPs of the day and they were in production for a short period of time before Sage, thru Lamson, began producing a high end reel with the Sage label. This Sage reel was badged the 5000 series and like the saltwater version of the Lamson, they featured a draw bar drag but the reel was finished in a high gloss black very similar to an Abel. Internally the Sage 5000 was more Abel like whereas the internals of the saltwater Lamson featured an elevated drag plate affixed to the spool that mated to the cork drag surfaced ratchet on the frame shaft. Having owned one of each I would say that the Sage 5000 was certainly a better design though I have heard of some issues. I sold my 5000 but I still have the saltwater series Lamson, it's a tank but it's a cool piece of that company's history.

These days I favor mostly Abel reels, they are well made and they continue to innovate with graphic designs and mechanics. Sure, many have the cork debate but thousands of bonefish can't be too wrong. Some of the Galvan reels look nice and I like the Bauer products as well. One of the reels I've never owned is a Hardy, even when they made the 500 series reels for Sage. I fished one the other day and by comparison to other clickers the Hardy sounds very nice, I should buy one of those soon.

Last edited by russellb; 04-09-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: original post was on an iPhone- stupid auto-correct....
Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM

dave t is on a distinguished road

I voted for Ross because my Cimarron has been such a fine reel, and the best drag of any reel I had previously. However, my old Hardy Flyweight and Featherweight are also good reels... simple, but good. My old Orvis CFO (made by Hardy) is also good, as was my old SA "Systems" reel (also made by Hardy).

So, I guess Hardy gets my vote too.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Abel for me. I love them. Followed by Galvan and Loop.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

as i posted earlier, i'm a lamson guy
love the drag and love the deign.
some of my lammys

Click the image to open in full size.

slick reels

casey
biggie_robs likes this.

ARFE
Old 02-22-2012, 10:54 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm an Allen fan Smooth start-up today helped me land a decent-sized steelhead on 5x tippet.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...