Reel care question---

BigSky

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of other people's pictures recently which have the standard picture of the rod and reel with the fish. In a large number of these pictures, the reel is in the water. I've always gone out of my way to keep my reel out of the water. Can any harm come from submerging the reel in water? I guess I would be more concerned with foreign particles; but, my question is specifically with respect to water. Thanks in advance.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Fresh water won't hurt your reel
Salt water will, but then you need just rinse it...... with fresh water :icon_bigg

gjcordray

Reaction score
I also try to keep my reel from being completely submerged, but it is more for the foreign particles. I have had times when if my reel became completely submerged the retrieve did not work smoothly - it kind of stops clicking and feels like it is free wheeling more. However, by just disengaging the spool and blowing off any excess water, it has always been just fine after that. I get more concerned when I lay a fish on the bank next to the rod and reel for a picture and then my reel is all dirty. This can really hamper the performance. I tend to wash my reels off after a really "dirty" trip or after a long multi-day fishing trip, but its more because I like to keep my equipment in good shape than it is a matter of the water hurting anything. Salt water is completely different. Get it off everything when you are done!!!

FrankB2

Reaction score
I had a particles issue a couple weeks ago. I had to set the rod down
to get a fish off, and when I began reeling, I heard a nails on a chalkboard sound :eek: ! It turned out to be 2-3 grains of sand, and I simply removed the
spool, and swished the whole thing in the water. That was one of my new Evolution reels, and I never had a problem like that before. Maybe the tolerances are too good...LOL!

All of my other reels have taken a dunk on many occassions, and I simply
open them up to dry out when the day is done.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Like others have said, grit and assorted schmutz is more of a danger to your reel than water, assuming its a reasonably sufficient quality reel. In fact, if you do set it down in sand or something, you'd be best off to dunk it multiple times to get any possibly abrasive grit out of it.

Like the field of economics, this sport's questions are often best answered with "it depends". In this case it depends on the build of the reel, the water you're fishing in, and some other assorted variables.

GRN

Reaction score
I don't hesitate to let my reel go in, get dragged about on the bottom, etc...

All if takes is about 1/8 turn of the spool to tell if you have started a collection of non-reel matter in the works...just a quick pop of the spool and a quick rinse and it's as good as new. :icon_mrgr

johnwest43

Reaction score
Some reels with a cork drag can suffer from swelling of the cork. Its rare but if it happens it can alter your drag setting making it tighter. I dont worry about it though. like the guys said just keep the debris out of it and you should be fine.

ezamora

Reaction score
i usually fish an orvis battenkill, a meisselbach airex, an SA one thirty or a galvan OB3. all get dunked in the freshwater streams i usually fish, i never worry about it though it's most obvious when sand gets into the battenkill. still, i just dunk it in the stream and shake beneath water and off i go again. i have started lubing once a year with hot sauce lube.

now, i had a new lamson radius, 2-3 generational models ago and it quickly developed a problem. lamson said it sounded like water got into through the O ring sealed spindle chamber. hence any reluctance i might have to recommend lamson reels though i think the problem surfaces very rarely.

eric
fresno, ca.

wjc

Reaction score
The answer to keeping sand from the beach or riverside out of the reel is on your head.

Just take your hat off and set your reel into it when you lay it on the ground.

BigCliff

Reaction score
The answer to keeping sand from the beach or riverside out of the reel is on your head.

A simple, handy, and no-cost tip- the best kind.

Thanks.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
BigSky,

The bottom line unless your reel is a beater is take care of it. Reels are not hammers they are finely machined and expensive fishing equipment. I have sold reels that I fished with for many years for prices more than double the original cost of the reels. The reason was simply that I handled them with care and avoided the chips and scuffs that will adorn your reel if you handle it carelessly.

If you are not concerned with resale value perhaps it should be a matter of personal pride.

Ard / Hardyreels

ezamora

Reaction score
i take care of my reels, but also take pride in every scrape and nick that happens to adorn them from scrambling over granite on my adventures. ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

BigSky

Reaction score
I didn't mean to imply that I'm some type of a moron and don't take care of my gear. When it comes to fishing gear, I'm more anal than most. Heck, I'm the guy who's never allowed his reel into the water, hence my question. I still don't think I'll make a habit of it.

ksigtuck

Reaction score

A great piece of advice that never would have crossed my mind...Thanks!
Tuck

Pocono

Reaction score
I fish a lot of tight, overhung freestone streams and when I'm releasing a fish, if there's no room for the rod/reel to go under my arm, then I sometimes let it hit the water. I've never suffered any reel damage due to this occasional dunking; but I'm usually fishing in very clear water. I use cork drag reels for this type of fishing, so if a problem was going to show up with particles damaging a drag system, then I think that it would show up with this type of system.

For saltwater fishing off the beach, I use a reel with a sealed drag and I've never had any problems. But even with a sealed system, I always take the spool off the reel after each use in the salt and give it a good rinse using fresh water. It takes a little extra time when you're ready to call an end to the day; but it pays off in reel longevity, which is really a part of that big ROI calculation that some of us think about, occasionally; but not too often, thank god! ;)