The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 AM

BigSky is on a distinguished road
Default Reel care question---

I've seen a lot of other people's pictures recently which have the standard picture of the rod and reel with the fish. In a large number of these pictures, the reel is in the water. I've always gone out of my way to keep my reel out of the water. Can any harm come from submerging the reel in water? I guess I would be more concerned with foreign particles; but, my question is specifically with respect to water. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel care question---

Fresh water won't hurt your reel
Salt water will, but then you need just rinse it...... with fresh water
Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 AM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I also try to keep my reel from being completely submerged, but it is more for the foreign particles. I have had times when if my reel became completely submerged the retrieve did not work smoothly - it kind of stops clicking and feels like it is free wheeling more. However, by just disengaging the spool and blowing off any excess water, it has always been just fine after that. I get more concerned when I lay a fish on the bank next to the rod and reel for a picture and then my reel is all dirty. This can really hamper the performance. I tend to wash my reels off after a really "dirty" trip or after a long multi-day fishing trip, but its more because I like to keep my equipment in good shape than it is a matter of the water hurting anything. Salt water is completely different. Get it off everything when you are done!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:09 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a particles issue a couple weeks ago. I had to set the rod down
to get a fish off, and when I began reeling, I heard a nails on a chalkboard sound ! It turned out to be 2-3 grains of sand, and I simply removed the
spool, and swished the whole thing in the water. That was one of my new Evolution reels, and I never had a problem like that before. Maybe the tolerances are too good...LOL!

All of my other reels have taken a dunk on many occassions, and I simply
open them up to dry out when the day is done.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Like others have said, grit and assorted schmutz is more of a danger to your reel than water, assuming its a reasonably sufficient quality reel. In fact, if you do set it down in sand or something, you'd be best off to dunk it multiple times to get any possibly abrasive grit out of it.

Like the field of economics, this sport's questions are often best answered with "it depends". In this case it depends on the build of the reel, the water you're fishing in, and some other assorted variables.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:37 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

I don't hesitate to let my reel go in, get dragged about on the bottom, etc...

All if takes is about 1/8 turn of the spool to tell if you have started a collection of non-reel matter in the works...just a quick pop of the spool and a quick rinse and it's as good as new.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-17-2009, 07:24 PM

johnwest43 is on a distinguished road

Some reels with a cork drag can suffer from swelling of the cork. Its rare but if it happens it can alter your drag setting making it tighter. I dont worry about it though. like the guys said just keep the debris out of it and you should be fine.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i usually fish an orvis battenkill, a meisselbach airex, an SA one thirty or a galvan OB3. all get dunked in the freshwater streams i usually fish, i never worry about it though it's most obvious when sand gets into the battenkill. still, i just dunk it in the stream and shake beneath water and off i go again. i have started lubing once a year with hot sauce lube.

now, i had a new lamson radius, 2-3 generational models ago and it quickly developed a problem. lamson said it sounded like water got into through the O ring sealed spindle chamber. hence any reluctance i might have to recommend lamson reels though i think the problem surfaces very rarely.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:03 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

The answer to keeping sand from the beach or riverside out of the reel is on your head.

Just take your hat off and set your reel into it when you lay it on the ground.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
The answer to keeping sand from the beach or riverside out of the reel is on your head.

Just take your hat off and set your reel into it when you lay it on the ground.
A simple, handy, and no-cost tip- the best kind.

Thanks.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.