The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 04:15 PM

damod is on a distinguished road
Default Re: automatic fly reels

I'm sure you will find them quite neat. Of course I'm a fan of autoreels anyway so I guess I may be slightly biased lol.. I'm sure you will find them fun though.

I have a twin pair of Tru-Art silents mounted on twin wonder rods.. Love them.. one little tip though... make sure the center screw is there on the front, and if it falls off stop immediately... I had one literally explode on me because of that.. Of course I didn't check to see if the screw was there before hand.. So it was my dumb fault..
Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

ill give it a whirl!

casey

ARFE
Old 06-10-2011, 06:01 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

This forum made a fly reel donation to Project Healing Waters about 2 years ago (Summer, 2009). We provided them with a dozen Vivarelli reels; most in the 5/6 wt. range, plus a couple of 7/8's.

At that point, PHW was accepting only Vivarelli semi-automatic reels; based on their having tested several types and taking into consideration the needs of the wounded vets in the program. I'm not aware that they've changed their policy on this, so if you plan to make a donation of any other type of automatic or semi-automatic reel, then you should check with them first.

Automatic reels were popular back in the early '60's and were frequently seen paired with glass sticks like Shakespeare's Wonder Rods, Phillipsons, Fenwicks, etc. The biggest downsides to automatics and semi-automatics, as has already been pointed out, were: 1. the lack of an adjustable drag, and 2. the tendency of the user not to pay attention on the retrieve and to bury the fly in the tip tip; thereby often times snapping the tip off the rod.

J-P is 101+ correct. The Cordel semi-automatic reels are in a class by themselves; even compared to the best Vivarelli products. Super smooth, responsive and with a precise memory of where the fly line is with respect to the rod. I fished A Cordel mounted on one of the new Hardy Zenith 9'0" 5 wt. rods, about a month ago with J-P and liked it a lot. Balance was great, no heavier than most standard reels.

Pocono
Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 AM

Didn't Cordel make fully autos too? I could have swore Cordels were made with a spring.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:25 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

They are. Both the semi-autos and the autos have springs. Vivarelli calls theirs a semi-automatic. Perhaps Cordel called theirs an automatic. I don't know.

But, I do know that there's a world of difference between the Cordel and even the best Vivarelli. However, Cordels are no longer made; the developer/builder having passed away.

If you're interested in information on Cordels, then PM jbbfly on this forum.

Pocono
Old 06-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

The Cordel has a spring so it's a fully automatic
see pic
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...el-thread.html
the Vivarelli hasn't it's a semi automatic.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-thread-7.html
Both are easy and pleasant to use....some people say you can't land big fish with those reels...I can tell you it's not true I landed a 25" carp in moving waters with my CordelLike my friend Allan said...feel free to contact me for more infos

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

here's a pic of the inside of a Vivarelli.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:41 PM

Generally speaking... cordels are but creatures of legend... Seen by few and known by most.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:25 PM

Look very closely............that's a Cordel reel on a Hardy Zenith 9'0" 5 wt. Four weeks ago fishing on the Lergue with J-P.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click on the image to full-size it, then click on the magnifying glass in the vicinity of the reel.

Pocono
Old 06-28-2013, 01:39 AM

charlous is on a distinguished road

My mom passed away last November and she donated her fishing equipment to Healing Waters in Colorado Springs. I began a Marylou McCartney Memorial Fund going to the same group. They are part of Wounded Warriors. Mom and I worked with many returning soldiers, teaching them to fish. Our equipment is 100% automatic fly reels. Since that is all we use, we could accommodate veterans with wounds without having to change equipment. You would be amazed how quickly a vet with the use of only one arm can operate an automatic reel and learn to cast a fly rod with ease. If you are interested in donating, it is a great cause. Please don't hesitate to contact me, I am in touch with them all the time.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I think automatic reels going to Project Healing Waters is a great idea. I saw a program where some of the guys were using them. I have never used an automatic. I wouldn't know where to start. I have one automatic reel put up. It was my father's. I don't think he ever used it. He liked to buy stuff at garage sales. I guess that is where he got it. I am not sure which box it is in either. I should go look for it.