The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: automatic fly reels

There seems to be a certain bious towards auto reels. Some people think they are all antiques and want to buy the new reels, some folks see them as too heavy, possibly too complicated to repair or clean. My only issue with them is that you have to keep winding them up. That being said, they certainly have their place and I suspect you could find a home for them as previously mentioned, with one of the Veteren's Fly Fihsning organizations, as well you should get a tax receipt.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: automatic fly reels

This may be of interest, I posted this (how too) on another board several years ago, and am copying it here today.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

"Last week I disassembled and cleaned up a bunch of auto's I had laying around. When taking apart these reels, I found that there is a fair chance that the winding spring may pop out, and unwind. As I was researching my own automatics, I had noticed that others also had this same problem, but I could not find any posts anywhere explaining how to get it all back together again.

While trying to get the spring back in there, I tried all sorts of wacky idea's (they all failed), After many unsuccessful attempts, I finally figured out how its supposed to be done.

Anyone who has taken apart one of these reels, has probably seen a discouraging image that looks something like this.

Click the image to open in full size.

It's really not all that hard to get it back together again, here is how its done.

Start out by pushing the spring back into the housing, starting at the outside perimeter of the housing. The first loop of the spring will be by far the most difficult one.

Once you get the first "Spring" loop in, the rest of the springs packing is a cake walk, the hard part is already over. Continue pushing the spring in slowly around the outside perimeter, working your way towards the center.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

After about 30 seconds of working your way around the springs perimeter, it all fits back into the housing fairly easily.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Here are the reels that I cleaned up, I used this same method on all of them.

I'm sorry I posted so many pictures, but I wanted to make the instructions as easy to follow as possible. Hopefully this post will help others, and save them a bit of frustration / time."
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

The initial rebuild caused me more than its fair share of frustration, but with these steps it should be an easy process to follow for anyone who wishes to tackle the project. Just clean them up / re-lube, and they can work like new. I wouldn't say there now my favorite cup of tea, but if you got one laying around from your ancestors, it would be a true shame if you didn't get the chance to fish it at least once.
kelkay likes this.

Last edited by charged; 07-08-2013 at 10:12 PM.