The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 11:17 AM

dekker is on a distinguished road
Default marquis #7 spare spool?

looking for #7 marquis spare spool for 25 yr old hardy reel. Got one? any leads?

happy holidays and happier time in the water!

dekker
Old 12-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: marquis #7 spare spool?

Dekker,

Welcome to the forum and Happy Holidays................ If I were after a spool I would create a "saved search" on eBay. They turn up there on a regular basis in the 45 - 55 dollar range. The #7 is a great reel what rod do you use it with? Also where are you located and what do you fish for with the old reel?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-24-2010, 03:28 PM

Hi thanks for the advise,

I have it on a sage 7weight that I use for Shad in the Ct. River. I love the reel, but had a mistep in the river, with the spool taking a bag bang that cracked the casing.So, I'm limited to transferring lines if I care to turn the other way up river.

have a great holiday!
mike
Old 12-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Mike,

I took a look at the Bay and there are no #7 spools up now. Do you know how to create a saved search? Pretty easy, go to the site and type in a search for Hardy Marquis #7 Spool. The search will come up empty and the page will ask if you want to "save this search" from there just do what the prompts ask and you will get an e-mail notice every time a Marquis #7 spool is listed for sale.

I hope you will continue to read threads and become a participant here.

Ard

Old 12-24-2010, 08:00 PM

thanks....got it done.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:50 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I just took a look on tradenstuff.com.Theres a SA system #7 spool for $150.I believe they are interchangeable with the Marquis.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:00 AM

thannks for looking....but abit much, and wouldn't want to take the risk for that amount of money........
Old 12-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Administrator

I would not go over $60 for one. If you wait it out you'll get one. Keep that search updated until you get the spool that way none will get by without you knowing about them. As for the 150 spool, you can buy an entire vintage #7 for that price.

Old 12-25-2010, 02:18 PM

thanks...good advice especially since I have 3 kids in very expensive colleges.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:10 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I would not go over $60 for one. If you wait it out you'll get one. Keep that search updated until you get the spool that way none will get by without you knowing about them. As for the 150 spool, you can buy an entire vintage #7 for that price.
Much as I agree with Ard on most matters, I differ somewhat with him on this one. I have a number of Hardy Marquis reels spread across different sizes, and I have been buying extra spools (& for that matter, reels in good condition) over the past five years. You are unlikely to auction-buy a # 7 Hardy reel extra spool in excellent condition for under $60 except in exceptional circumstances (keep in mind that I have been monitoring eBay for these for over five years). Like Ard said, however, I would set up an eBay search and monitor prices for a while to get a good feel for what they go for. Right after the turn of the year will likely give you the lowest prices. I should add that # 7 reels/spools tend to go for less than the more popular-sized # 5 reel/spools. Also keep in mind that Hardy-made Marquis reels/spools were also marketed by Scientific Anglers as their System (pick your number size) reels which were the exact same reel/spool as the Hardy Marquis equivalent size.

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 12-27-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Clarification