The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 01:32 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default reel question

just got a new 5 weight and need to get a reel for it. i'm thinking ross cla2 or lamson guru2. anyone?

thanks, casey

ARFE
Old 12-24-2010, 01:50 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reel question

The Guru seems like the most under-mentioned reel that should be mentioned on the market. I've been tempted several times to get one, but haven't yet.....
Old 12-24-2010, 01:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Both are fine reels. Beuller?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:29 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute

thanks mp, never heard of that. i'll have to look that one up.

thanks, casey

ARFE
Old 12-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Casey,

Deciding on the make is up to you but size is also a consideration. take a reel that you own perhaps one that you use on a seven weight and mount it to thee rod. Without stringing the line through the eyes see where the balance point is on the cork.

If the outfit balances at or near the tip of the handle then you will want a larger reel than what may be prescribed for a 5 weight. I am guessing the rod is a 9 foot. I have a 9' 5 weight and use a Marquis #7 on it. This size reel provides perfect balance while my Orvis CFO IV does not. Back when this rod was new a CFO IV was the reel that would have been sold with the rod. Having a bigger reel & spool helps to keep the rod from being tip heavy when it is lined up. Faster retrieve due to the amount of backing on a big reel is handy also. Almost every rod I own has a bigger reel than what would be called for and as a matter of personal preference I like them to balance at the tip of the cork and this makes them feel perfect in the hand. If you choose the Lamson try a #3 they are light enough to use a big one.

Just a suggestion on size,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-24-2010, 03:12 PM

ard,
thanks for that info on the reel sizing. i'm thinking i might go the lamson route, as ive had great results from them in the past. would you also recommend overlining it as well?

thanks, casey

ARFE
Old 12-24-2010, 03:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone?

Beuller?

Old 12-24-2010, 03:27 PM

thats funny mp! was wondering why my extensive google search turned up blank?!

ARFE
Old 12-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dennis: That was great! Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Larry

Old 12-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
ard,
thanks for that info on the reel sizing. i'm thinking i might go the lamson route, as ive had great results from them in the past. would you also recommend overlining it as well?

thanks, casey
I am not big in the overlining department. Somehow I manage to fish without difficulty using the lines prescribed for the rods. When it seemed I needed more umph with the 9' PM 10 5 weight for throwing size 2 streamers with little back cast available I went to a weight forward and used a 36" lead head and that worked just fine. Figuring out how to get desired results from a rod is a matter of experimenting with varied techniques. If I buy a 5 weight, I bought that rod because I wanted a 5 weight. If in fact I find that in order for the rod to work correctly I must use a 6 weight line or Heaven Forbid, a #7, then I would return the rod. If I were inclined to stay with the same maker I would take a 4 weight and line it with the #5 that was my original intent.

This may sound a bit stubborn but when I am paying hundreds of dollars for a graphite shaft that supposedly is the result of the most modern technology available, hence the price tag, then I want it to perform as advertised. The only rod I own that demanded to be outfitted with a line that was not the designated weight is a 6' 6" bamboo rod. It will cast with a #4 line but once you have 20' of line in the air you can feel the strain of the line. Something about the 'feel' and a tiny bamboo will provide plenty of that, was not right. The rod was a custom build by Orvis and they contacted my nearest dealer and I was able to pick up a DT #3 to try on the rod. Problem solved! The rod was in fact a #3 rod and not a 4. Somehow having to downsize the line on a short cane rod called 'The Flea' was not a giant psychological hurdle for me but having to line my 5 weight with a 6 would be unacceptable. Does any of this make sense to you?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;