The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 05:25 PM

abrysdam is on a distinguished road
Default Ross CLA or Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor

I'm looking for some advice here. I am looking to match a reel with with a Scott A2 (9 foot, 8 weight) rod. I've used the Lamson Litespeed, but it's a little out of my price range.

The two that I'm looking at right now are the Ross CLA (4) or the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor V. My local fly shop previously recommend the Ross, but everything I've read seems to indicate that it isn't a large arbor reel.

I'll be mostly using this setup for salmon/steelhead fishing in Michigan. Also any recommendations on backing (dacron or gel spun are the Orvis options) and type of line.

All else being equal, I'd like to support my local shop because they have been extremely helpful since the first day I set foot in the shop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:31 PM

abrysdam is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ross CLA or Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrysdam View Post
I'm looking for some advice here. I am looking to match a reel with with a Scott A2 (9 foot, 8 weight) rod. I've used the Lamson Litespeed, but it's a little out of my price range.

The two that I'm looking at right now are the Ross CLA (4) or the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor V. My local fly shop previously recommend the Ross, but everything I've read seems to indicate that it isn't a large arbor reel.

I'll be mostly using this setup for salmon/steelhead fishing in Michigan. Also any recommendations on backing (dacron or gel spun are the Orvis options) and type of line.

All else being equal, I'd like to support my local shop because they have been extremely helpful since the first day I set foot in the shop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Clarification - I'm looking at the Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor IV, not the V
Old 03-29-2009, 09:02 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't check the weight of the Orvis, but the Ross CLA is a real piggy at
7.2 oz. The Ross is a "mid-arbor", but lots of reels like that are marketed as
large arbor. The arbor is certainly larger than the original Cimmaron, and it
might hold more backing than a real large arbor reel.

LL Bean is selling Ross Rhythm reels at a substantial discount right now, but
only at the retail stores. I bought a Rhythm 3.5 for my 8wt, and paid $179.
Spare spools were marked down to $59! Being cheap, I didn't get an extra
spool....yet .
Old 03-31-2009, 10:37 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I just put a Ross Evolution on my 8wt and it is very nice. I was fortunate enough to pick it up at a song at a TU silent auction. I recently looked at the Orvis model you mentioned and it is vry nioce. Another option to consider is last the 2008 Lamson Velocity. They are closing them out and you can pick up a 3.5 for around $130. I just bought a #2 and it is sweet.