The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2006, 08:21 AM

Outdoorarki will become famous soon enoughOutdoorarki will become famous soon enough
Default What reel?

I started tying flies this year and now my 10 year old daughter has gotten into it too. I think I will hand down my old rod to her and get me the sage launch in 8.6 or 9. What reel do you guys recomend?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Re: What reel?

I would sat they're at least a dozen reels that would work fine for you. First of all, it has a lot to do with what weight rod you'll be using. There is a huge difference between a good reel for a 4wt rod and a 9wt rod.

The best reels on the market would include, but certainly not limited to, Galvan, Able, Lamson, Hardy, etc... but a heafty price tag comes with these top-of-the-line reels. We're talking several hundred dollars. The Hardy Angel TE is a sweet reel... but my goodness... for $750 I can buy 5 or 6 other good reels.

You can get some excellent reels at more of a midrange to lowrange price from the likes of Cortland, Scientific Angler, Loon Outdoors, etc... You can get a Cortland Endurance for $90.

Then there are some economy reels that will do in a pinch from Stone Creek, Okuma, etc... You can get a Stone Creek Voyager for $42.

It changes almost every other day... but the best value that I've recently seen in a fly reel has been the Cortland Endurance Large Arbor Fly Reels at $89.95. You can view those at http://thefullcreel.com/product_info...roducts_id=390

Old 02-05-2006, 12:29 PM

Outdoorarki will become famous soon enoughOutdoorarki will become famous soon enough

I forgot to mention it will be a 5wt rod.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorarki
I forgot to mention it will be a 5wt rod.
Go to that link Steve gave and check out the Endurance by Cortland. Great company who will always stand behind their products.

If I might chime in on the rod though;;

I personally own three Sage Launch rods. Definately cast the 8.5 and 9 foot rods before buying. Personally, I absolutely hated the 9 foot in the five weight. I bought the 8.5 foot and it is super sweet. I do though have the 9 foot in a 6 weight that casts like a dream. My other one is a 7.5 foot 3 weight that I love too. While everyone differs in what they like, just make sure you cast them side by side because the actions are night and day different.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the imfo guys.It really helps alot to new guys kie me.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:38 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Never be afraid to ask questions on this site. You will always get good & free information here.

My train of thought is very similar to those who have answered ahead of me, but I also take into account what species will be sought with the rod purchased.

My first fly rod was a Scott Voyager 9' 5wt & it was recommended by the shop owner to look at a Ross Cimmaron for that rod & that is what I purchased because I knew I would be fishing for trout as well as smallmouth with that rod. (It has a very nice disc drag system & that reel at that time was $130)

You most definitely can spend bookoo bucks if you so desire, but look around. Many of the medium priced reels carry very good/great warranties. Personally even if I had the money I would not spend $600 for a fly reel, why ??

Tie One On
Old 02-06-2006, 04:23 PM

Re: What reel?

I will mostly be fishing for trout and bluegill with this rod and reel. Guys, what about the cabela's reels? I haven't seen any post on these reels. Are the not a very good quality? I like the looks of the cortland that was mentioned before. Just one of those things that you may have to try more than one.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:16 PM

JBinUTAH will become famous soon enoughJBinUTAH will become famous soon enough

I haven't heard anything bad about the cabela reels. I mostly use Orvis Battenkill Large Arbors. My experience and my flyfishing experience is limited though. I have never had any problems or complaints though about my large arbors.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorarki
I will mostly be fishing for trout and bluegill with this rod and reel. Guys, what about the cabela's reels? I haven't seen any post on these reels. Are the not a very good quality? I like the looks of the cortland that was mentioned before. Just one of those things that you may have to try more than one.
If you have a Cabelas store near you I would say that might be a good option. They will always back up their products but I have heard that turn around sending it in is a long wait. If you have a local store you can just take it in if there is a problem.

One good thing about Steve and the Full Creel is that he offers a test drive period so you can know if you like the item by actually using it. That is about the best guarantee you will ever find. Plus, I guarantee you he will give you a great deal.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:54 AM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough

I'm a big fan of Pflueger reels. I own about a dozen of them from the classy gold Supremes to old click and prawl type. They are relatively inexpensive and will last a life time. Attached is a pic of a 4wt cane rod I made with a Pflueger Supreme. I made two more short (6' and 7') cane rods last week and you guessed it I armed them with Pflueger 1492s. They are, were, and will always be a classic in my book.

Click the image to open in full size.