The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 02:13 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ross Evolution Owners...Question

They have a bit of play between the spool and spindle: the
spool while move in and out from the frame when the two halves are lightly
pulled, and even during reeling. I returned my Ryhthm reels, but recently
bought another. The Rhythm spool frame connection has zero play, and I
played with a few just to be sure. My Orvis BBS reels also have zero play.

Last edited by FrankB2; 09-01-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ross Evolution Owners...Question

Frank

I have never owned a Ross Evolution, I have used them but it was a guides rod/reel and I didn't notice the play you mention.

Larry
Old 04-06-2009, 08:44 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

I have 4 evo's and 12-14 spools... never experienced what you are describing... just went and tried it to make sure. I'll buy them from you for what you paid for them.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I might return them to LL Bean and replace them with Rhythm reels (eventhough they are heavier.... ).
Maybe... what few the retail stores had left just got transferred to the outlets.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 04-06-2009, 09:12 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought a Rhythm 3.5 and spare spool this past weekend. I just measured the difference, and it's .005". It doesn't sound like much, but
is definitely visible, and can be felt while reeling. The handle slides in and out,
and that adds to the clinking feel while reeling, so maybe I'm just being too
picky.

Last edited by FrankB2; 09-01-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:47 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

contact ross. see what they have to say and let us know. i've never heard of such a bad design for such a reel with an otherwise good reputation. maybe there was a bad run of them and you were unlucky enough to get more than one.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:34 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I have a 3.5 and do not have that problem. I am lookoing for a 3.0 so let me know if you have any to get rid of. I went tpo mu LL Bean store and there was nop sale. Just my luck.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 AM

Hi Guys,
I spoke to Brant at Ross before posting, and he said to send all of them to
Ross. I suggested sending one might be cheaper, and then he could tell me
if it's within normal tolerances. They aren't bad, but I expected really
close machining tolerances for the (regular) price tag. It's an otherwise perfectly
manufactured reel. Actually, the machining tolerances are probably perfect, it's
more of an issue with the fit/attachment point between the spindle and the spool
jaws.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Frank,

I checked out the Evolution when it first came out. The reel didn't feel as solid to me as the Galvan that I was comparing it to. I don't know quite how to describe it but it just seemed too light and frail for my taste. Then there was the incoming click and I decided it wasn't a reel for me. Ross makes some great reels but this one just didn't grab me.

Everyone should realize that the Evolution is not a bad reel and anyone who likes it should not hesitate to buy one. I am talking about my perception of the reel. I am sure many use it and love it.

Frank