The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 03:36 PM

williamsr is on a distinguished road
Default Hello, I'm new But what a great site:) reel question.

Hello All,

This is my first time posting at this site, wow; so much information just blows you away. Well after reading a ton of information, watching videos, I have decided to try and take up fly fishing. I have read reviews and read endless hours of forum threads and have come to a question that I am getting ready to ask. I think I am fortunate as most people have paved the road with stuff that has worked and not, what I am trying to say is sometimes company’s hype and don't delivery and for some this is ok if you have the money to burn and for those that don't it is hard to sort. Anyway my question is this, I have come up with 1 reel I think would be great and it seems everyone is catching things like tune on these. I will spend the extra money if I think it will last a long time.

1) Buy the Gulfstream by tibor made for 11-15 which would last forever and use 5wt line, which the reel would be 11oz then just buy a couple of different rods like Legend Elite from St. Croix in size 5wt, 9wt, and 12wt. Wouldn't that cover all the ranges? Could you set the drag according to weight of line? One reel for all these rods then just pick your line and re-spool it ever time you fished for something different? Buy 2 extra reels are there any down side to this? Like I said most people would agree that Tibor is the best and I guess I am looking why this wouldn't work other then being a little more heavy then the light editions? Just trying to save a little money by not buying a 5wt, 9wt, and 12wt reel. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Randall Williams
Old 04-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hello, I'm new But what a great site:) reel question.

Two responses:

1. Wow. You've got to be kidding.

2. If not kidding, no, its a very bad plan. That reel would be incredibly heavy on a 5wt rod and you'd basically be swinging a dumbell 2000 times in a day of trout fishing.

Try this: Drop back to Legend Ultra or Avid rods in those sizes, and buy matching Lamson Velocity reels for the smaller 2, and a ULA Force reel for the 12.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure you'd like using a blue water/big game reel on a 5wt.
A little large
You'd be much happier with a reel meant to hold the proper sized line.

And don't get the idea that having the most expensive is important
I still use the Medalist reel that I got in 1964...they go for $25 new today.
It still has a few years left in it too

Also, it's probably best if you concentrate on using one rod before you decide what others you'll need.
It will become apparent what those may be when you've learned the limitations of what you already have.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Randall,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for signing up.

I am not sure I have seen a question quite like yours. For someone just starting you are thinking way, way ahead. If you want to use an 11oz reel on a 5wt rod, that is up to you. You won't like it and it pretty much doesn't make sense. But that doesn't mean you can't do it. Now you can buy reels that you use for multiple rods but not quite that wide of a range.

You really need two reels to cover from the smallest pan fishing up to Steelhead, Salmon and light salt water. When you start talking a size 12 to 15 reel you are talking very specialized fishing that requires a reel designed for it. A Gulfstream would be a very good choice for big game. You are a long ways from catching 100+ pound Tarpon or Sailfish.

The Gulfstream has a great drag but I am not sure you could reduce it enough to fish for trout. The start up resistance may be too much. The reel is not designed for this type of fishing. I think your idea is kind of like executing a guy with a cannon. You can do it but does it make sense.

It would be a little more sensible to use one reel for salt water. But again I don't think you would enjoy casting all day for Bonefish with an 8wt rod and a Gulfstream.

So in conclusion I would have to say that your idea is not something that most fly fishers would consider.

Frank
Old 04-07-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Two responses:

1. Wow. You've got to be kidding.

2. If not kidding, no, its a very bad plan. That reel would be incredibly heavy on a 5wt rod and you'd basically be swinging a dumbell 2000 times in a day of trout fishing.

Try this: Drop back to Legend Ultra or Avid rods in those sizes, and buy matching Lamson Velocity reels for the smaller 2, and a ULA Force reel for the 12.

Sir,

Thanks for the input, just want to spend the money once and not over and over again. I guess I didn't think that 6 more oz would be that drastic. What would you classify as the best reel if money was no limit? I want something that will withstand the test of time, not break down, maintenance free, feel like butter casting and as a last resort it must be pleasing to look at. I know my requirements are more than others, but it is the way I am. I know you can always go cheaper, but when I buy something I want to be rest assured that it will last. I am in the UK and can order from the US. Around here there are no shops where I can browse and feel and test the product. So I have to buy and hope I like using it.

Thanks for your time,

Randall Williams
Old 04-07-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Randall,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for signing up.

I am not sure I have seen a question quite like yours. For someone just starting you are thinking way, way ahead. If you want to use an 11oz reel on a 5wt rod, that is up to you. You won't like it and it pretty much doesn't make sense. But that doesn't mean you can't do it. Now you can buy reels that you use for multiple rods but not quite that wide of a range.

Frank

Frank,

Thanks for your input I read thru the information you put out there and was like wow. I don't come across people like you and Cliff all the time, and it feels great when you can pull from all your knowledge and experiences. I think I have picked the best rods like you concluded; I just need to find those right reels that fit the following. 5wt 8 or 9wt and 12wt. Would like to buy one brand only and not have a bunch of different ones.

I want something that will withstand the test of time, not break down, maintenance free; feel like butter casting, and have an awesome drag that is sealed. Warranty must also be good. I looked at Tibor, Nautilus NV reels these are on my short list. As well as what Cliff said Lamson....

Thanks for your time,

Randall Williams
Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsr View Post
Frank,

Thanks for your input I read thru the information you put out there and was like wow. I don't come across people like you and Cliff all the time, and it feels great when you can pull from all your knowledge and experiences. I think I have picked the best rods like you concluded; I just need to find those right reels that fit the following. 5wt 8 or 9wt and 12wt. Would like to buy one brand only and not have a bunch of different ones.

I want something that will withstand the test of time, not break down, maintenance free; feel like butter casting, and have an awesome drag that is sealed. Warranty must also be good. I looked at Tibor, Nautilus NV reels these are on my short list. As well as what Cliff said Lamson....

Thanks for your time,

Randall Williams

I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions but It sounds like you have a backround in fishing fly reels serve a little bit of a different purpose than other reels.
Truthfully, fly reels get very little use in comparison to a baitcaster, spinning or conventional reel. It really serves no purpose until you hook a fish. Its not involved in the casting or retrieval process at all. You'll want a decent drag if your fishing fish that run hard and aluminum with sealed drags for saltwater but they don't take the kind of abuse that other types of reels normally endure.
My favorite 5WT is a $20 Martin reel (but I have some of the fancy expensive ones too)
Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Frank,

Thanks for your time,

Randall Williams

The reel has nothing to do with casting. Your reel becomes important if you are monster hunting (saltwater, huge bass, carp and so forth) I have found that I have only need the drag on my reel (reddington Rise) 1 time so far. The reel is just a spot to hold the line. Maybe if you want to say what you are fishing for we can point you in the right direction.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Randall

You didn't mention where you are from, but I'd highly recommend looking around for a Trout Unlimited Chapter in your area, lacking that try to see if there is any other fly fishing organization or just try hanging out at the local fly shop and ask questions. Finding a mentor who can guide you on your journey into fly fishing will do wonders. Best of luck and welcome to the forum. Keep asking questions we have some very talented folks on this forum who are more than willing to share their knowledge.

Larry
Old 04-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Would like to buy one brand only and not have a bunch of different ones.
Saw this after I sent that PM with reco's. Switch the 5wt rod from a Winston LT to a http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...y&target=SG101 590-4 ZXL and the reel to Tibor Light Fly Fishing Reels: Front Range Anglers the Tailwater model.

That second shop may have all 6 items so you can order all at once.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.