The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about
Default Abel Trout or Creek?

Im looking for a reel for my 2 weight for small stream fishing and maybe some bluegill too.

I really like the look of the Abel creek large arbor, but i've never held one of these reels in my hand before. (Abel Trout/Abel Creek)

Does anyone have any experience with either of these reels? Which one would you choose?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Abel Trout or Creek?

Hi ksbrowntrout2,

Both are great reels for a light line rod. The Trout only comes in a standard arbor design. It is a little lighter than the Creek but both would work well on a 2wt.

The Creek comes in a standard arbor and a Large Arbor (its more like a medium arbor). The creek has a little more weight. You can interchange the standard arbor with the LA arbor spool. So that makes it more usable on different rods. The standard arbor holds more line than the LA.

I think it comes down to picking the arbor size you like best.

Frank

Abel Creek LA No1 3.8oz
Click the image to open in full size.

Abel Trout Light, 3.1oz
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:32 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The Abel Trout series Light weighs 3.1 oz, but the Trout 1 weighs 4oz:
Trout Reels/TR Series

I'd buy an Orvis BBS II with a 2.75" diameter, and an honest weight of 3.5oz.
Pocket the difference, or buy two .

EDIT: The last Abel trout reel I played with required removing a small screw to remove the spool. That
was a deal breaker right there.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Thanks Frank, good catch.

Frank
Old 04-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
The Abel Trout series Light weighs 3.1 oz, but the Trout 1 weighs 4oz:
Trout Reels/TR Series

I'd buy an Orvis BBS II with a 2.75" diameter, and an honest weight of 3.5oz.
Pocket the difference, or buy two .

EDIT: The last Abel trout reel I played with required removing a small screw to remove the spool. That
was a deal breaker right there.
In the picture Frank posted, I see a little silver lever sticking out from under the center plate that looks like a spool release lever to me.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:56 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I see what you are saying, On the Creek, there really isn't a spool release, you do need a screwdriver. On the Trout series, there is a quick release option.

As for the orvis, i Have the Batenkill Standard arbor on my 3 weight, but on the 2 weight im looking for a really light reel, and im going to be using it on some creeks where the rainbows can hit 20+ inches
Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 PM

7XBWO20 is on a distinguished road

I would search for a Hardy Featherweight fly reel, an older one. The newer one's just are not the same. The reel weighs 3 1/2 oz and is 2 7/8 inches.
Robert
Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I second the Hardy reel and would add that if weight matters go to eBay and look for a Flyweight in good condition. I know of no lighter reel I'm thinking they are around 2.7oz.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:05 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the Abel Creek that requires a srew removal: Easy Care Instructions

An FAOL member is selling an Abel Creek #1 and #2 for $130 each. I have
no personal knowledge of the seller, but you can see it on their site. Even
the #1 weighs 4oz, so probably won't be applicable for this situation.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbrowntrout2 View Post

As for the orvis, i Have the Batenkill Standard arbor on my 3 weight, but on the 2 weight im looking for a really light reel, and im going to be using it on some creeks where the rainbows can hit 20+ inches
The Orvis BBS is a much different reel than the Battenkill...IMO. The BBS
drag is very nice, and sizes I and II weigh less than 3.5 oz. I use a BBS III
on my 7'6" 4wts, and it balances very nicely. A Hardy at 2.7 oz sounds great!

YO! Those little screws for the Abel's spool are $6.25 each, and I'm sure shipping isn't free !