The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 11:11 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default Medalist issue...

today when i was out my reel was acting up... when i reeled in it was very choppy and difficult to reel! i put some lube on and it got better, but wasn't 100% any ideas?

also, whenever i reel in i always seem to make knots.... not bad knots that i have to completely take apart my reel, but bad enough to irritate me while fishing! do i just have to reel in more neatly?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:45 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Medalist issue...

are you applying tension as you reel in? i lent a reel to a buddy one day and at the end the coils were loose and there were "knots' at times. arrrrrrrrgh

if you're right handed and hold the rod with your right hand as i do, try adding tension to the line with your forefinger as you wind with your left hand. i'm just guessing here but it seems when i first started 20 something years ago, i read and adopted that practice but with the advent of the internet and message boards, i have never heard anyone suggest that simple practice.

a possibility to the choppy feel to the reel (what is it?) is that the cage might have become a tad bent out of shape or the spindle might have been bent.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 AM

jdorsey61 has a spectacular aura aboutjdorsey61 has a spectacular aura about

As Ezamora says, loose coils of line will cause tangles. It's also possible that that's the reason for the "choppy" feel when you reel - if the line is loosely wound on the spool (or if it's unevenly wound), it may be coming in contact with the crossbars that hold the reel halves together. Get in the habit of applying tension to the line when you reel in and try to make sure it feeds on evenly.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:55 PM

dman will become famous soon enough

Might be time for a good cleaning of the gears, etc. and relubing.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:31 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

There is not too much that can go wrong with a Medalist, which is why they tend to be very reliable. I'd guess you might be getting you lined piled up in the reel, and it rubs on the frame a bit. Take a look and see if that might be the casee.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-11-2009, 10:18 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I would check for sand or debris in back of the spool & on the spindle. If your line isn't contacting the reel frame, the spool isn't bent there's not too much more to go wrong with a Medalist.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:12 PM

dman will become famous soon enough

Did you ever get it solved?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:47 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Did you ever get it solved?
yeah, i'm goin fishing this weekend, so i played with it last night... and i had trouble getting the spool out... so i just kept taking it in and out a few times just looking it over... i had some (a small bundle) very thin 4lb leader in it, which i couldn't see because of the reel lube!

final analysis... with my backing and line(8wt) on it its filled pretty much all the way, so when i just left my leader in, i somehow got it knotted... but its all good now!