The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 10:53 PM

TnTom is on a distinguished road
Default automatic fly reel

ran across an old Wards automatic in a tackle box I picked up at a junk ship. Works great in in good shape.
I don't understand how it might have any advantage or what kind of fishing it would apply to other than maybe bluegill or something.
I thought I might put it on an old glass rod I have for something when I can find out how to apply it.
It'll sure bring the line home
Tom
Old 04-12-2009, 11:47 PM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough
Default Re: automatic fly reel

Hello TnTom, you'll like the auto reel on the old glass...I use about the same outfit for lmb, smb, big crappie, gill and yellow perch around here. I think they'd be ok for small trout but I sure wouldn't want to tag a big trout or steelhead that would run off on me...because the auto is not easy to release the spring tension on whilst in the heat of battle.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
ran across an old Wards automatic in a tackle box I picked up at a junk ship. Works great in in good shape.
I don't understand how it might have any advantage or what kind of fishing it would apply to other than maybe bluegill or something.
I thought I might put it on an old glass rod I have for something when I can find out how to apply it.
It'll sure bring the line home
Tom
Old 04-13-2009, 01:47 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

whatever you do, (from what i've read) just don't attempt to disassemble the reel without wearing full face or head protective gear. even decades later the tension in those reels can be quite dangerous. actually, strike that. just don't disassemble the reel.....

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:20 AM

I think that it would be great for getting that streamer scooting along.

I've read some other threads saying its all but useless but after thinking about it a bit it could be a lot of fun.

Got it on the dis-assembly (good to know because I have a habit of taking things apart first then reading the instructions).

Its got some old braided line on it and I'm sure it sinks like a rock and no backing but I'm going to add the backing and give the line a try.

I've just got into Striper Bass fishing for a change (haven't caught a big one yet) and was thinking I'd rig this up for that.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Tom
Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of automatics that came with some of the vintage glass rods that I purchased last year. One is a Shakespeare and the other is a Southbend. They both work well, for what they are.

Aside from the caution that Eric gave you about disassembling the reel (be sure and heed that caution), the other point that you want to watch for on the retrieve is to be sure and stop the line well in advance of getting the fly close to the tiptop. If you don't, the force of the retrieve, coupled with the mass of the fly (I know, it seems rivial, but remember momentum = mass x velocity and when the velocity is high, even a fly can contribute to your problems) can snap your rod just below the tiptop. It's happened many times, and to many people, and was one of the primary reasons for the demise of the automotic reel; which was really in it's heyday in the late '50's/ early 60's.

Unless you have a sentimental attachment to that automatic, I'd put it on a shelf and admire it, but I don't think I'd actually fish it. If you'd like two more, I know where you can get a good deal on them.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:54 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road

I still remember my father using one of those automatics back in the early sixties.He did have fun with it at times .And there were times when he did a lot of cussing.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:16 PM

That's something I'd would have never considered. Thanks for the alert. I don't imagine it will get a lot of use but it would be fun to fish it a little and then retire it. Its very nicely made and its made in the good ole U.S. of A.

A great example of how a high tech concept has been replaced by something less complex, less technical, using far simpler approach to solving a problem.

Wards had to have a lot of gov't help when it was designed. PORK
Old 04-13-2009, 10:08 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I know of two good uses for those old automatics...
Ausable river boat guides like them 'cuz they can pole and fish with them and for use by our Project Healing Waters soldiers.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:45 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Jackster,

If you're associated with Project Healing Waters, then you should know that Pflueger still makes automatic reels that work on line up to #8; it's called the Pflueger Automatic model 1195.

If there is a need for these reels to support those disabled vets who enjoy fly fishing, then I would be willing to purchase some of those new automatics and make a donation. Let me know.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Jackster,

If you're associated with Project Healing Waters, then you should know that Pflueger still makes automatic reels that work on line up to #8; it's called the Pflueger Automatic model 1195.

If there is a need for these reels to support those disabled vets who enjoy fly fishing, then I would be willing to purchase some of those new automatics and make a donation. Let me know.
Pocono, what a very gracious offer. The vets hospital we work in generally treat vets with non-physical issues like CSR. On occasion we do on stream classes with the vest from other area's. I've put in a question to the PHW coordinator in our region to see if there is a need for those reels as I have no idea what supplies he has access to.
Thanks very much! Will let you know soon!