The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Reels

Fly Reels Post any comments or questions regarding fly reels...

View Poll Results: How many spare spools do buy when you buy a reel?
None 12 23.08%
1 23 44.23%
2 9 17.31%
Only if it was a package deal 8 15.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 07:43 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the spare spools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I've switched out lines instead of changing spools before and I've had much trouble.
Swirlchaser's 2 minutes turned into about 15 for me.
No thank you
I'd rather change reels instead of spools but that's not always feasible, so on most of my big water reels, I have spares.

With one of my reels, there's 4
When the reel was 'closing-out' I tried to get another before they were gone... I was too late, but there were so many extra spools left over that they were going for only 10 bucks
Spare spools galore
Riptide,
15min? What went wrong?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I'm both spoiled and lazy. The vast majority of my fishing is done on my home river/lake. I've been fishing these waters forever, I know what I'm going to fish and how I'm going to fish before I head out.

I'd might have a different philosophy if I fished alot of different waters. A long time ago I spent my time figuring out where I liked to fish, and since then I've fished in those few waters almost extensively. Heck, sometimes I don't even take along two spare flies, let along two spare spools.

Of course, once I get laid off/retired, I may start venturing to other waters, in which case I may need to expand my repertoire.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 04-21-2009, 09:16 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

This Poll is way too limiting in the number of spare spools. I use vintage Hardy Marquis click-&-pawl reels, and have four or five spare spools for each, fully lined. As others have said, it's a damn sight easier to change out spools while standing in the middle of a river than changing out fly-lines.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:00 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I can't afford the top of the line gear, but I do have a couple redington CDs that I bought on sale (half price). I also picked up the spare spool for my 3/4, and am on the lookout for a spare for my 5/6

My primary on the 3/4 is a WF and the other is a DT with a furled leader all greased up and ready for dry fly season.

I plan on putting a sinking line or at least sink tip on the spare for my 5/6 for lake fishing as soon as I find a spare spool at a decent price.

Dave
Old 04-22-2009, 12:39 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought a couple of discounted Ross Rhythm reels, and paid $50 per
spool. Pretty good deal, and I like the convenience already (first time I bought
spare spools). A.K. Best wrote that he bought some sort of SA System 7
reel, and then MANY spools for various lines. It seems he uses that
reel on several rods of different weights.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:00 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

i usually only need 1 general purpose floating line and 1 sink tip per reel. so i stick with 1 extra spool. i do have 2 extra spools for my big game reels, but i have yet to put a line on the 2nd spools.

i don't do a lot of stillwater fishing. if i did, i might use more.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 04-22-2009, 02:28 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

I have no extra spool for my 3 wt. reel, one for my 5 wt., one for my 6 wt. and 3 for my 8 wt. I'd love to pick up some spare spools for my Ross Rhythm 3 cheaply (as discribed above) and thought they'd be out there when the reel was discontinued, but haven't bee able to find any.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 04-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Armando will become famous soon enough

I do have extra spools in 4 of my reels, but I stopped with that and now have a reel for each of my lines. Not cheap but I am a reel freak and love to watch them.
Most of the time in expensive reels theres not much difference between the reel and the spool, I think its ridiculous to buy a spool for 200 dollars, its just a spool! Instead you save a little more and then buy another reel.
This pays off while fishing and having several rods loaded with diferent working lines.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Chiming in with one disadvantage of spare spools over extra reels I didn't see mentioned. While its true that one angler can fish only one rod at a time, one reel can only serve one angler at a time as well. I've got a Colorado 2 with 3 spares, holding a 4,5, and 6 WFF, and a 150 Teeny. Its extremely versatile for me, but if I want to take a buddy/relative fishing, only my 3wt or 7wt are available to the 2nd angler.

Simple solution of course is to buy another damn reel, I know. But I'm just sayin': one reel don't work for 2 people.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:07 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cliff,
That's the one one well-respected fly angler expalined it to me when I asked
about buying spare spools. I've never bought spare spools until the $50
Rhythms, but I keep my less expensive reels for others to use. There haven't
been any others, however, so maybe I'll give them to my nephews if they begin to show any real interest.

BTW...I was casting a 5wt into a gale today, with a heavier than normal
wooly bugger. I wish that my spare spool with a 6wt line was in my vest....